What height for a desk?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Ay up folks,

I've got some Oak I've been saving for some desk legs, I have a nice piece of toughened glass that I'm going to be using for the top. My question is, what height is the average desk going to be @? I don't have a desk chair as yet, but I have some time to get this done now and then it's out of the way. Obviously there will be some adjustment available on the chair. I've read somewhere that 28" is considered a reasonable height but it seems a bit low to me.

Obviously I should really have a chair first, but I want to get this one out of the way while I have a few days spare. I can always build it a few inches higher than desired and then cut down the legs to suit.

What d'ust reckon?

Cheers _Dan.

Hi Dan,
According to the Collins Complete Woodworkers' Manual a desk top should be 700mm and a computer desk top 650mm.

I think that this confirms your 28" figure as being about right.

HTH
Jon

Much appreciated chaps. I'll go for a finished leg length of 28" I think, the glass top and stainless steel fixing adds a touch under an inch, so I can always lop a little bit of the bottom to ring it down.

Cheers _Dan.

Don't forget the depth of the front rail, if any, can reduce what at first was ideal for knee space. It happened to me years ago with a 'senior' goverment official advising and refusing to accept any responsibility when 'his' desks could not be used by the typists. My preference is for 2'6" (750mm) Best wishes.

No front rail to think about mate, legs tennoned (spelling?) into a rail that goes across from front to back of the desk, then a piece of 6mm toughened glass across the top.

Cheers _Dan.

Back