What have you been up to?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about to finish a huge piece of furniture, will tell you all about it when I finish it, but I thought I would have a very overdue dedust. All the tops of the ducting and dust / cobwebs on the walls, it’s unfortunate that my Three bag three-phase dust extractor has to be in the workshop and things do get a bit messy, I have a fine filter air purifier as well to keep the worst of it out of my lungs. When I get this huge thing out of here I shall have a proper tidy up. Ian
7EA14E1D-EAD6-4C75-BBA0-0FB1EE7D8C00.jpeg
530AB126-B96B-459B-A665-35FE38CD8D79.jpeg

Worked on improving the road that leads to our woodland parcel and through it to parcels owned by others. Utilizing spells of spare time over the last 2 years we have widened the road from 1,6 to 2,2 metres and the ruts which had reached the depth when my Massey-Ferguson 165 would have hung up with wheels spinning are now completely filled. All soft spots are filled in with stones and rocks stacked by hand to bind the mud and fill the holes. On top there is 25 cubic metres of 0-65 mm macadam. The terrain is very difficult with boulders several cubic metres large stacked one upon another with silt in between them. The dynamite consumption has been significant.
Anyway it will soon be finished.

Modified the dust collection ducting in the workshop.

Running a cast iron scale stamped 1887 in the electrolysis bath. I needed a good scale when mixing various things in the workshop and found that one for a good price.

Finished sanding and varnishing our kitchen table. It was in a bit of a state after 35 years of use.
Used my Elu belt sander - the one saved from the Grim Reaper. It worked well but the new drive belt got very hot.
20200914_195031.jpg

I've spent some time developing some 3D digital drawing skills new to me. I was sort of forced into giving it a go when my free educational version of AutoCAD decided it no longer wanted to do the business: I was more than happy with the 2D orthographic projections my old AutoCAD 2006 knocked out. I'm getting better with this Fusion 360 thing, but pencil, drafting pens, paper, markers, rubber, rule, etc are still quicker, and in many ways I prefer the evidence that it was me that drew it, even though the end result isn't as perspectively accurate as the Fusion 360 version.

I suspect that in the end Fusion 360 may be more program than I really want, and I'm still struggling to work out how to create certain forms. For example, I've yet to work out how to create a traditional cabriole leg, not that I want to make one, but I would like to understand how such a form can be created, because I could then apply that knowledge to a number of forms I do want to incorporate in a furniture design.

Ultimately, I might end up having a go at DraftSight because I understand that's closer to the way AutoCAD works, and I did like AutoCAD, but I don't think I use it enough to justify the £300+ per year for the LT version, let along the all singing and dancing 3D version. Slainte.

Torpedore-1-Tambor.jpg

Torpedore-3-part-open.jpg

@Sgian Dubh Have a watch of these to videos on using the loft tool in 360 to create the cabriole path for the app to follow
Loft tool -

I'll have to have a look at the second link in particular to see if it helps. I've already used the lofting tool quite a bit. Those legs included in my last post were done with the loft tool, as were the pulls of the tambour. I just haven't yet found out how to do it effectively with a cabriole leg. Thanks for the link. Slainte.

You honestly could've fooled me into thinking that was real with the 3D model!
It does look reasonably real, I must admit ... until you see the actual piece, which is a bit more colourful. I couldn't work out how to make the drawing properly match the colours used in the making.

Torpedore-1-700px.jpg

Torpedore-18-700px.jpg

I was having a bit of a clear-up today and to be honest it's got to the point where I don't even know what I have anymore, I found this little plane (about 3-4" long) in the back of the cabinet and gave it a bit of a clean by rubbing it with a bit of raw leather to remove the very light surface rust and burnish the cast iron. No idea who made it, it's got a Marples laminated Iron and it was owned by a T. Jenkins in its life but aside from that, it's a complete unknown to me. I think the wedge and infill are some kind of mahogany but I'm not exactly sure.

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG
IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

That's not a bad idea Mike, I should've done that first. I'll give them a call...

11df5dc1b5c1eda151e552018b6f9fb3.png

"Hello, Is this the hand tools sub-forum?"

eb05d9b2e80ded4de1dc25cbf2821461.jpg

"It is, AndyT speaking"

gordon-batman.jpg

"I've got this old hand plane with absolutely no identifying marks, can you help me?"

636328965061938003-020316-F-OQBATMAN-30P-KK-5104362.JPG

"Maybe, let me consult my Melhuish Catalogues"

FluffyFlawedApisdorsatalaboriosa-small.gif

A second carving for my granddaughter to paint and then fix it to her playhouse.

This is by far the roughest carving I've ever done and I hesitated to post a pic. It's a bit of reclaimed very resinous softwood that is fairly hard and smells like pitch pine though I'm not sure it is. Not a single carving chisel has been near it as it was cut out roughly with a scroll saw and carved using burrs in a Foredom and Dremel followed by light sanding and a coat of acrylic seal, the burrs were clogging every few minutes which was a pain so a couple of hours work and I'd had enough. :cry:

Several times I've looked at it and got out the chisels to carve it properly then a quick reality check.

* It's for a 7 year old who has no critical eye for detail and doesn't care what it's like.
* She will paint it with thick gaudy colours likely pink and purple with sky blue spots.
* It's going to be screwed to the outside of a playhouse subject to North East weather.

So it's staying as it is, crooked mouth funny little chin and all the other faults until she gets her eager little paws on it and starts splashing colours around. :giggle: That will soon fill all the bits I haven't sanded.

Attachments

• IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 19
Having dodged a hurricane, I am now moving house (a semi-annual event). No woodwork for me for a few days. Rain got in to my "workshop" and my cast iron table saw went bright orange in the space of about 6 hours, so I rubbed and cleaned and waxed it, and the band saw for good measure. They look marginally better now.

Having completely run out of water last week, 24 hours of rain has put about 100 cubic metres of water into my storage pond. It was slightly moist, I have to admit. Excited to be able to water the garden again :) although it won't need it for a few days.

I have removed antique architrave from mother in laws house before she has her sash windows changed, so it can be reused.
Made an embroidery hoop stand for my daughter. Sorted out under stairs cupboard. Clear out my shed. Also carved a name board for a friend's beach hut. All last minute jobs before I go back to work this week.

Sitting here resting a badly sprained ankle done on Friday exercising this.

10955608_1375269656114131_144209363830666791_n.jpg

Oh well, back to the Sudoku.

Nigel.

Back