What have we become?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find myself increasingly pondering the question of what people
did with their time, before television.
And how they formulated their opinions.

Thats why families had 15 plus children. The women always looked knackard and the blokes went to the pub out of the way

I only watch a bit of the news, that's it.
I tend to watch an old series on DVD whilst eating dinner - midsomer murders, doc Martin easy watching stuff.

No TV programmes at all
Midsomer Murders, Last of the Summer Wine, Dads Army and First of the Summer Wine got us through lockdown.

Midsomer Murders, Last of the Summer Wine, Dads Army and First of the Summer Wine got us through lockdown.
My wife and I enjoy having a box set to work through. Its relaxing putting on an episode when sitting down with evening meal and a glass of wine.

I find it almost impossible to come across anything worth watching on TV.

I don't think there's much of a case of 'what we've become'. Think we're still very much what we've been for millenia.... A bunch of primates, who, once we've met basic needs of food, reproduction and shelter, like nothing better than to chill, chat and story-tell, preferably disinhibited by some sort of relaxant. The fact that chatting and story telling is now through various tools and media doesn't really change things. And just like pub chat, 99% of telly is tosh.

You do realise this is a bit of fun?
Have your fun.

I am happy in my ignorance. :)
I grew out of TV watching around 1987.

There are occasional programmes I have watched, usually on recommendation or by accident, but few and far between.

These were the days when familys talked to each other, men spent more time doing things because there were no power tools and familys entertained themselves, not all sitting like zombies starring at the screen and they thought Tv was detrimental to society, little did they realise that one day the so called smart phone would create phone zombies and people would walk down the street apparently talking to themselves like some nut nut or lost cause.

I knew the world was definitely crazy when I saw two people sat opposite each other in a restaurant, sat at a table for two, texting each other.
I had that experience in a Drs waiting room some years ago, surreal.

I accidentally caught a minute of EastEnders the other day, never have I seen such bile and animosity, I certainly wasn’t going to waste another minute watching any more of it. There are compensations to being single, you can watch what you want and channels such as Blaze keep me perfectly happy with programs like Combat Dealers. Ian
I can't watch Eastenders without inserting the swear words that would be there in real life.

I think I'm rather out of step here, as I happily pay our licence fee for Radio 4, Radio 3, BBC News and BBC4. Its cheaper than a decent daily paper. Its one of the few things about being British I still feel proud of.

I'm quite lucky...
My Mrs watches all the serial drivel after I've gone to bed.......
no planning involved it just worked out that way......
when we lived in the UK, at drivel time I made a brew for us both and I went to my dry, heated shed......

And how they formulated their opinions.
Pub. And when not in the pub, at the footy or cricket (depending on season). Ah, happy days!

Back