What have I bought now????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy

I noticed them, and I think I know what they are, but could be entirely wrong!

I was in Pennyfarthing Tools in Salisbury once, and the owner showed me something very similar. He explained that it was a test piece from his engineering apprentice in the Navy. The point was to lay out, cut and file the two parts so that either one would nest in the other, either way up, and fit exactly. All done with hand tools only - a real test of precision filing.

That doesn't explain why they would be marked Robert Sorby - unless they were done by the great man himself, or were from salvaged stock marked for some other reason.

I doubt very much that they are apprentice pieces....more like either part of something made by Sorby....something for Sorby to measure like bevel angles or something which holds something larger made by Sorby.

Andy...what we need is a Sorby catalogue! :wink:

Jim

jimi43":t1ogkwqd said:
I doubt very much that they are apprentice pieces....more like either part of something made by Sorby....something for Sorby to measure like bevel angles or something which holds something larger made by Sorby.

Andy...what we need is a Sorby catalogue! :wink:

Jim

- or an ex-naval engineer! (somewhat more likely, I believe!)

Back