What happened with the Stanley Premium planes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

For various reasons it's been a few years since I was here on the forum every day and I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. Before my hiatus I remember there was much interest about Stanley releasing a range of premium planes, although if memory serves Chris Schwartz had made some mildly disappointing comments about some early ones. Did they get corrected? Are they for sale or did they get pulled?

One of these days I will own a new plane... :D

Nothing much happened. Everyone round here has already got enough planes....

Vormulac":3hlvmhes said:
AndyT":3hlvmhes said:
Everyone round here has already got enough planes....

I thought comments like that were considered heresy around here... ;-)

Oh go on then, I'll make room for a few more... :lol:

Stanley already made premium planes...the very old ones! :mrgreen:

They are usually relatively cheap...couple of quid at a bootfair...easy to fettle and tune...and add aftermarket irons and cap irons if necessary....and are therefore considerably preferable to new ones...which whilst they might be newer are ugly as sin!

Exhibit A...a proper profile:

DSC_0687.JPG

£2...otherwise untouched....

Exhibit B....a naff profile:

Click link above...

£99 reduced to £69....and you don't really have to question why!

Ok...I sort of like the cap,cap iron, iron stealth cluster...a bit...but what the hell happened to those gorgeous curves!

It's like putting go faster stripes on an old Bentley!! :mrgreen:

Jim

I think I was wondering more if anyone knew if there had been a move to correct the initial deficiencies and if they had been re-appraised since?

I don't tend to have any luck at the boot sales - I think you lot get there before me! :D

Vormulac":1vowg7dm said:
I think I was wondering more if anyone knew if there had been a move to correct the initial deficiencies and if they had been re-appraised since?

I don't tend to have any luck at the boot sales - I think you lot get there before me! :D

My take on the new "Premium" Stanley planes is that they wanted to capture some of the growing market of amateur woodworkers who appreciate a good tool rather than a poor casting with a rubbish iron. Emerging competition from the Asian market also played a part...no longer was "Made in China" a bad thing.

They saw the LN and Veritas products...and to a lesser extent the Cliftons...and thought it might be worth a punt at this niche end of the market.

Personally I think their energy would have been better served concentrating on the mass market and increasing the quality whilst keeping the costs competitive at that end of the range of tools. They were very good at this back in the days when that little baby above was born...

Maybe the answer was to outsource the casting etc to the Asian workforce...if they don't already...but demand the quality control that others have achieved.

And your other point about bootfairs...you don't have to walk the fields at dawn to get these...FleaBay is a prolific source of great old Stanleys and Records just waiting for new owners at a fraction of the cost of a Premium Stanley...even if you added the extra bling at the end!

Jim

My existing planes are all ebay jobs, the problem is that I lack the Alf-like tool-whisperer ability to discern a good'un from a duffer and so while I've bought a couple of reasonable ones, they've been neither as cheap nor as good as many of the fabulous hauls the other guys and gals on here tend to get. Although I did pick up a Stanley 53 Sweetheart for £1.42 a few years ago - that made me smile :)

I purchased a Premium Stanley 51/2 i think it is. Got it about 2 months ago.

Im no expert but straight out of the box is was sharp, accurate, felt good. I am led to believe its a bit pot luck, sometimes you can get a bad one. I posted a small review on here with a couple of pics i think.

For the price i paid, and the fact that i dont have the time or inclination to do up an old one, this is ideal for me and works great.

Vormulac":24ehu0ax said:
My existing planes are all ebay jobs, the problem is that I lack the Alf-like tool-whisperer ability to discern a good'un from a duffer and so while I've bought a couple of reasonable ones, they've been neither as cheap nor as good as many of the fabulous hauls the other guys and gals on here tend to get. Although I did pick up a Stanley 53 Sweetheart for £1.42 a few years ago - that made me smile :)

LOL! Alfie's asleep at the moment but if you like he can give you Secondhand Planes 101 lessons tomorrow! :mrgreen:

Unless of course you mean ALF....she is in pastures new more's the pity...but her blog has some superb tips! 8)

Jim

I was referring to our Cornish Workshop compatriot, I figured she wasn't posting on here at the moment - is she active on any other WW forum? She's always been a source of good tool-related advice to a relative newbie like myself.

Alf stopped posting here a couple of months ago in response to the childish bickering which dragged a few threads down to playground level, with nobody doing anything much about it. Alf, if you are quietly lurking and reading this, PLEASE COME BACK! - they were just a bunch of silly boys and you know how they get when they are over excited. Some of us would like to chat about old tools and woodworking!!

AndyT":1u1gu0dy said:
Alf stopped posting here a couple of months ago in response to the childish bickering which dragged a few threads down to playground level, with nobody doing anything much about it. Alf, if you are quietly lurking and reading this, PLEASE COME BACK! - they were just a bunch of silly boys and you know how they get when they are over excited. Some of us would like to chat about old tools and woodworking!!

Yes indeed...ALF! Alfie says you have to as his knowledge of planes is only minimal...at the moment! :mrgreen:

DSC_1335.JPG

...but he is studying hard! :mrgreen:

J

I think somebody effectively told her to clear off - which was uncalled for?

Come back Alf.

Rod

+ another one.
It's an awful shame when "discussions" about what is a hobby for many of us on here, descend to causing serious offence, especially to someone as knowledgeable, and willing to share that knowledge, as Alf.

dickm":3gm67mie said:
+ another one.
It's an awful shame when "discussions" about what is a hobby for many of us on here, descend to causing serious offence, especially to someone as knowledgeable, and willing to share that knowledge, as Alf.

Quite agree, unlike Alf, some people seem to find it impossible to keep a sense of proportion and observe basic good manners. Moderators have a delicate line to follow but, regrettably those around here seem to have opted for the overly passive side of the line if my experience of being ignored is anything to go by. But then, I wouldn't want to be a moderator.

Jim

Latest posts

Back