What happened to the thread about hardwood sellers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Last Thursday or Friday, can't remember which, I started a thread about hardwood sellers and mentioned a firm that I had had good results with. Somebody else replied and mentioned another firm
Now all trace of the thread has disappeared
Or did I imagine the whole thing?

John

i recoomended Barnes Branch &Co in high wycombe.

all sorts of sawn timber in stock.

offcuts at 50% off ( i got a 3m 175*100 piece of iroko for £35 last week).

they also do solid wooden flooring. 22mm english oak T&G at about £25/m2.

they will machine to order and do lots of oak beams and other stuff.

01494 525761

they supply alot of the furniture trade here in wycombe

aleks

My recommendation was for the american hardwoods sold by Moss and Co in Hammersmith. They sell everything from american white oak (much lighter in colour than english oak, through to black walnut which is black but very dark. It's all kiln dried and, uinlike english hardwoods, is straight edged and the planks are reasonably flat meaning that there is a lot less wastage. I'm waiting for a new pricelist from them, but because of the less wastage than buying waney edged stuff, they are quite economical
Their phone number is 0208 748 8251. They are in a side lane running back from 104 King Street, Hammersmith. They can deliver stuff but you really need to go yourself to pick out what you want, which is easy because the planks are stored on end and you can sort through them easily

No connection with them other than as a satisfied customer for a good many years

John

Thats the place they got the wood from on the TV show - SMITH & SWEETMAN Workshop.

Seemed VERY expensive to me, they made a small Oak chair, single seater - they spent £400 on the oak.

sawdustalley":3v4c6nps said:
Thats the place they got the wood from on the TV show - SMITH & SWEETMAN Workshop.

Seemed VERY expensive to me, they made a small Oak chair, single seater - they spent £400 on the oak.

Do you mean they got it from Moss and Co? If so I don't think Moss could be blamed for the high price, when I rang them recently even Black Walnut was only about £54 plus Vat per cubic foot, so I don't know how an oak chair could have worked out so expensive for a single chair

John

johnelliott":26wu13vn said:
sawdustalley":26wu13vn said:

Do you mean they got it from Moss and Co? If so I don't think Moss could be blamed for the high price, when I rang them recently even Black Walnut was only about £54 plus Vat per cubic foot, so I don't know how an oak chair could have worked out so expensive for a single chair

John

If I knew a TV company was paying I would raise my prices :wink:

Back