what happened to Alf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a different place 2

That is very weird. i type wood haven (as 1 word) 2 and a different place 2 appears :unsure:

all three of us had record maxi 26's ! I remember me and alf were bitterly disappointed with ours. I think you were OK with its foibles! when lurem folded record briefly swapped to scm minimax combos lab26 or 310. they are a great machine and would have resulted in satisfaction I'm sure. Still see maxi 26s for sale £1000! I wouldn't give em £300.
Are those the combination machines

they are built by the long defunct lurem company of domfont ( normandy?)
How old are these machines I’ve never used one but as far as saving space I think there a sound idea but if it’s heavy use and large work individual machines are key but I see it as a Swiss Army knife. Of course a large fixed knife is handy but having a bottle and wine opener do come
In rather handy indeed

they developed a bit over the years ending up with a small sliding table. when they went bump record began importing the minimax lab 260 a really nice quality machine. but you never see those for sale so I'm guessing they were a poor seller.
ironically when I went to buy mine from Alan Holkham the assistant told me to my face there rubbish don't get one. I must have been obsessed because I still brought it!

they developed a bit over the years ending up with a small sliding table. when they went bump record began importing the minimax lab 260 a really nice quality machine. but you never see those for sale so I'm guessing they were a poor seller.
ironically when I went to buy mine from Alan Holkham the assistant told me to my face there rubbish don't get one. I must have been obsessed because I still brought it!
I've said it before but I had an AEG Maxi 26 as my first machine and thought it was brilliant (for the money). It did loads of work, at one time being shared by two of us. Still going strong when I sold it on and bought a Minimax Lab 300 (3 times the price!).
I guess the Minimax Lab 260 was too low spec (blade sizes etc) to merit the high build quality.

Still using a (highly modified) Lurem combination machine from ?1960s?, an ancestor of their C210. Has all the "faults" complained about above, with extended lever rise and fall on the saw, aluminium table etc.. But what else would do all I need, in the space available, for £50? (OK, had to pay a neighbour £20 for the 2hp motor off his bale elevator to go on it, but still fairly economical)

Back