what happened to Alf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
odd question I know but I've just been trawling the archives...what happened to that prodigious poster alf? has she given up wood altogether. she must have posted thousand of sometimes hilarious and always entertaining posts.
me jacob and alf had one thing in common...any guesses?

last time I saw her she was deep in chat with Richard Arnold at that wood/greenwood show at Leicester. long time ago now.

odd question I know but I've just been trawling the archives...what happened to that prodigious poster alf? has she given up wood altogether. she must have posted thousand of sometimes hilarious and always entertaining posts.
me jacob and alf had one thing in common...any guesses?
Dunno. What? I know we were at it a long way back, possibly when it was a Yahoo group, and through various revolutions, coups and battles to follow.
She was always interesting. She popped up briefly over there a few weeks ago but maybe decided not to bother

all three of us had record maxi 26's ! I remember me and alf were bitterly disappointed with ours. I think you were OK with its foibles! when lurem folded record briefly swapped to scm minimax combos lab26 or 310. they are a great machine and would have resulted in satisfaction I'm sure. Still see maxi 26s for sale £1000! I wouldn't give em £300.

all three of us had record maxi 26's ! I remember me and alf were bitterly disappointed with ours. I think you were OK with its foibles! when lurem folded record briefly swapped to scm minimax combos lab26 or 310. they are a great machine and would have resulted in satisfaction I'm sure. Still see maxi 26s for sale £1000! I wouldn't give em £300.
Right I'd forgotten! Yes I thought they were really good value but certainly needed a lot of attention to get a good performance.

I remember being so excited when I went to buy it the guy at Alan Holthams(remember that place) told me how shoddy it was and I just ignored him! After 12 months I went to a record demo at craft supplies ( remember that place)about a dozen old guys were huddled around the demonstrator and I systematically told them about everyone of its foibles as the demonstrator covered it. the old guys just disappeared at the end leaving an angry demonstrator and a happy me.
I learned guarantees are mostly worthless as the maxi was fairly robust but very inaccurate.

I was only maybe 28 and it was a large chunk of cash for me tbh. I was always wanting to be a self employed woodie. it took a long time to realise that dream.

Right I'd forgotten! Yes I thought they were really good value but certainly needed a lot of attention to get a good performance.
Hi sorry thread jack I've seen a Aeg MAXI 26 is this the better machine or not as you say it's £300! Worth it or not?

Cheers James

I was only maybe 28 and it was a large chunk of cash for me tbh. I was always wanting to be a self employed woodie. it took a long time to realise that dream.
It was my first big machine, 1986. Previously had a band saw but otherwise did everything by hand.
Maxi best features were low price, very clean thicknessing due to slow feed rate, very easy function change even though only one motor. I used the spindle a lot but not the slot morticer - did them by hand until bought a proper mortice machine.

Hi sorry thread jack I've seen a Aeg MAXI 26 is this the better machine or not as you say it's £300! Worth it or not?

Cheers James
Same name number. I highly rated it but others didn't, as we see!

same leopard different spots. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. combos are funny machines there abilities are severely limiting even on good machines like the scm or felder. or even the robland. but the maxi was dire mostly. strangely my next big machine was a used dw746 10 inch table saw. an amazing machine that still does all my circular sawing to this day. including years of full time cutting. cost £1000.

it will fetch much more than that I would guess maybe upto a grand. I still wouldn't have it as its really annoying! be sensible and find something like a lab 26 or a felder if you must have a combi. they won't then annoy you until you get rid.

remember you can't polish a cowpat but you can roll it in glitter! buy something that will grow with your confidence and never disappoint.

it will fetch much more than that I would guess maybe upto a grand. I still wouldn't have it as its really annoying! be sensible and find something like a lab 26 or a felder if you must have a combi. they won't then annoy you until you get rid.
Dunno mine currently is a Minimax Lab 300 which is excellent in general but does have it's weaknesses. Price being the main one!
The only failure with this and coincidentally with the AEG Maxi, has been failure of the main switch. Twice with the minimax and not cheap to replace.

Back