What hammer for chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello
I use either a wooden mallet or a hard rubber lump hammer, never a claw hammer, I would end up in pain from hitting my hand, learning from ones mistakes can be agony,
Regards
If you do use a claw hammer as sometimes when on a job you do not have a mallet turn the claw hammer so it hits the end of the chisel side on a lot safer, and as with hammer and Bolster look at the end you hammer not the end of the chisel/bolster.

What a thread,,5 pages and still growing,,I just got into the habit of chiseling with the side of my claw hammer, never done it any other way, mind you were talking cheap old mainly plastic chisels. Never seem to hit my hand. I like the weight of the steel hammer which doesn't seem to need much force behind it, I seem to give the poor old chisel much more of a walloping with a beech mallet!
Steve.

Also for not accidentally hitting your hand while you are looking at the pointy end

Given other teaching working practices, such as flinging dusters at your head and random clouting in the ear, I think protecting students was at the bottom of the list, below protecting tools, protecting machinery, and protecting working conditions...

I have an Estwing 16oz claw, a Thor copper and hide, two Thor nylon faced and these four, all home made.
Oh, and sledge, a 4lb lump, a 2lb lump, three or four warrington patterns, a couple of large ball peins and twelve or fifteen small jewellery/smithing hammers.
:LOL:

DSC02212.JPG

If you do use a claw hammer as sometimes when on a job you do not have a mallet turn the claw hammer so it hits the end of the chisel side on a lot safer, and as with hammer and Bolster look at the end you hammer not the end of the chisel/bolster.
How on earth you would look at the end of the chisel whilst using it is not something I would ever do, and I can’t see that being a good working practice. To me that would be like looking at the steering wheel whilst driving the car.

Back