What hammer for chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyP

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Irwin chisels, blue plastic handle with a steel cap. What type of hammer or chisel would be your choice? I just use a normal claw hammer at the moment, I know many use a nylon hammer but I was wondering how long it will last against the metal cap before the ends need replacing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220624_064325_com.huawei.hidisk.jpg
    Screenshot_20220624_064325_com.huawei.hidisk.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0
I use a wooden mallet either a light weight pine one or a heavier mahogany headed one.

Both hand made.

I find nylon headed ones just a little too small in diameter.

Those handles are designed to use a steel hammer on and if you used a wood mallet it would wreck the mallet. Nice wood handled chisels do need a wood or plastic mallet but its ok to use a claw hammer with those. That's why it's got a metal cap.
Regards
John

Those handles are designed to use a steel hammer on and if you used a wood mallet it would wreck the mallet. Nice wood handled chisels do need a wood or plastic mallet but its ok to use a claw hammer with those. That's why it's got a metal cap.
Regards
John
A Claw Hammer is NEVER the correct tool - unless you are fitting or removing nails!

Regards
John
They wouldn't last long under a hammer!

Mallet. Less damage to chisel and less likely to hit hand.
Hammers are for nails.
Timber framing to Japanese carpenters all use steel hammers on wooden handled chisels, though the former now have all steel chisels, or steel capped.
But its the reason many use socketed chisels, the handle is the disposable part and made to be replaced.

These are sold to DIYers in the DIY retail park stores. I have a few - this is not meant as a criticism.

They have a steel end as the market into which they are normally sold will frequently (a) not understand the difference between a hammer and mallet, (b) may not have a mallet, (c) will hit it with anything heavy, etc.

It may also (a) be cheaper to manufacture than wood, (b) look to the unknowledgeable as "tougher"

Incidentally I have found that they make a mess of my cheap beech mallet - they are the go to chisel for rough work.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sounds like most prefer a mallet 👍
A mallet will always be the preferred option but there are exceptions.

If you’re working away from the workshop and on site, there’s a lot of hand tools you don’t really have space for in your bag, also it would be too heavy to carry around.

The mallet is one and what they teach you at Technical College is to use a hammer instead and strike the chisel with its cheek.

This is for sinking hinges, lock plates and the odd joint or two where you’re not hitting very hard though.

Last edited:
Three for me, lightweight round timber one like above, and two Thor ones.
Course, medium and fine if you will.
SAM_3732.JPG

SAM_3735.JPG

SAM_3346.JPG

Hello
I use either a wooden mallet or a hard rubber lump hammer, never a claw hammer, I would end up in pain from hitting my hand, learning from ones mistakes can be agony,
Regards

You will be fine using a claw hammer on those as 99.9% of site chippies do on all chisels.

I mainly use Marples plastic handled split proof chisels, they get used with a claw hammer all the time on site and have never had a problem.

In the workshop I use a dead blow mallet or claw hammer, whichever is in easy reach.

One of the reasons for a mallet is the bigger head means you don't have to concentrate on hitting the chisel you can just focus on the sharp end.

One day when I have some spare time (probably in my next life) I want to make a nice mallet, it's been on my to do list for quite a while.

I will second the lump hammer, it has short handle for better control, wide enough striking face and you don't have to force it, it will work mostly by it's own weight.

The other otion is a nylon faced hammer. You may find different sizes that will suit you and the nylon face will last a very long time and it's cheap and easy to replace (mine don't have any serious signs of wear, though I have wooden handled chisels only).

I think that a wooden mallet will not last long if it's used to strike the steel capped chisels.

I have a set of Irwin chisels, blue plastic handle with a steel cap. What type of hammer or chisel would be your choice? I just use a normal claw hammer at the moment, I know many use a nylon hammer but I was wondering how long it will last against the metal cap before the ends need replacing.
In 74 years I have never used or heard of a hammer being used on chisels, except an untrained person,
Steel capped or not. I use Marples chisels and other sharp edged tools and it would be further from my mind to pick up a hammer! MALET only. Respect proper use of your tools!

Back