What Glues am I missing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Wood_Basher

Established Member
Reaction score
Its only when you lay out all the glue you have that you realize how much you have! I made a video going over all the glues I have in my shop and when I use each one.

Sometimes I will mix the glues too, PU and woodglue is a great combination as well as CA and woodglue.

I store my glues in 6 categories:

1. wood Glue
Normal woodglues waterproof or not.

2. super glues and activator
Watch your fingers! I love using this as it can speed up your work process so much

3. PU glues
Due to the expanding properties of this glue it is great for filling gaps.

4. Sealants and adhesives
Silicon and other construction adhesives are kept here

5. Epoxy
Great for filling in knots in wood as it is sandable

6. Other
I keep hot glue, plexiglas glue and others here.

However I allways looking for new things so what glues do you use that I didn't include?

Here is a detailed video: https://youtu.be/op2WNz1Vuzk

Contact adhesive, and spray mount adhesive.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I do have some contact adhesive at the end in with the other glues! Ive only used spray mount adhesive a few times and didnt like the mess, maybe I got a bad one. Which brand do you use?

Ive used 3M I think, will have to check...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Cascamite / Aerolite powdered resin glues, absolutely bombproof glues.

Hide glue is a nice one to use on restorative furniture work, can be reversed too if needed with some hot water.

animal hide glue where you make your own with a double boiler, not just for restoration, some furniture makers use it.

Trevanion":3dooih06 said:
Cascamite / Aerolite powdered resin glues, absolutely bombproof glues.
Yep, great for laminating, but very tough on plane blades for cleaning up afterwards as the glue sets glass hard. Everbuild D4 is my 'go to ' glue for most stuff, but there are others lurking for the odd jobs - Rob

FISH GLUE
It has very similar properties to scotch but is used cold. The best thing about it is the long open time so perfect for complicated glue ups. I believe instrument makers use it quite a lot.

Hang on, Youve publicly admitted you store your glues by category, a dozen people have replied, and they are ALL trying to make your list more complete! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why has nobody yet has advised you see a therapist?
(hammer) (hammer) (hammer) :lol: 8)

Ha!! LMAO

Maybe I should see a therapist, what can I say I like everything to have its place.

Some good ideas here though folks, I do want to start working with Hyde glue again in the future. Double sided tape is something that gets used a bunch around my shop, I use it alot for holding down small stuff on my CNC. But I wouldn't use it in place of a Glue.

Mixing Glues...
The two I mix the most are PU and PVA (woodglue) they activly cure each other as the PU needs the water the PVA has to cure. The PU also Expands, pushing more glue into the crevis's. Mixing them is exactly as it sounds, put both in the joint and close the joint up!

If you're listing sealants as adhesives then CT1 deserves mention.
Not really a purely woodworking solution as much as a general (and pricey) solution to lots of situations where you never need to separate the surfaces you sealed. Ever again. Goes on dry wet or even submerged. Think 1 tube to keep spare for any eventuality. Running repairs sorta thing.
https://www.gluegunsdirect.com/shop/ct1 ... gKHEPD_BwE

phil.p":1j41v6sv said:
If it works well why isn't it marketed?

Because everyone in the trades knows what CT1 is :lol: It doesn't exactly need marketing to sell units.

Besides, your general homeowner isn't going to spend £10 a tube on CT1, they're going to spend £2 a tube on pink grip.

According to this chap, pink grip did a better job

https://youtu.be/uZxNGQ7t0BU

my hammer drill just broke, wonder if contact adhesive like CT1 could support a large shelf, wooden shelf brackets glued on bare concrete?

Back