what glue?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Is this the correct way to do it first,
1, fix a peice of wood to a face plate.
2. glue a bowl blank to the wood on the face plate,
now do I need to put paper between the two woods??or glue wood to wood???
3, what is the best, or what you have found to be the best glue to use???
I just find it hard to believe that just glue will hold the work, but it must do, I just can not make my mind up as to what glue to get???and have enough confidence that the wood will not fly off around the shed,DUCK, to late, ouch....lol...lol..thanks for your help...

Haven't tried it,but there was an article on this subject in "woodturning" magazine 155 (November 2005)

Fasten/screw wood to faceplate,and turn it to round and flat-faced
PVA glue on both pieces,put a piece of paper on one glued face,then glue the other piece of wood onto the paper (so your layers are wood:glue:paper:glue:wood)
Press together,and leave to dry at least overnight.

Or for small pieces,hot-melt glue the wood straight onto the faceplate (top tip - warm the faceplate first)

If you can find Woodturning magazine (GMC publications),issues 155 and 156 have articles in on use of alternative chucking methods (things that can be used in conjunction with ordinary faceplates and screw chucks)

Hope this helps

Andrew

PowerTool":2abuq2hk said:
Fasten/screw wood to faceplate,and turn it to round and flat-faced
PVA glue on both pieces,put a piece of paper on one glued face,then glue the other piece of wood onto the paper (so your layers are wood:glue:paper:glue:wood)
Press together,and leave to dry at least overnight.
What Andrew said works fine I've used it many times myself.
One thing I'd add is to use thin paper, newspaper is fine. thick paper tends to seperate :shock: .
Don't worry about it coming apart as lond as you clamp it overnight when you glue it it should be fine.

cd

Back