What glue would you use? (Ash panels - yellow PU stains)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetty

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering what type of glue you would recommend for butt jointing 20mm thick panels made in American ash?

Last time when I glued some ash panels together, I used a screwfix joiners mate Polyurethane (PU) adhesive, but this left a nasty yellow stain along the joint line. The yellow stain was really highlighted after oiling and a total nightmare to sand away.

Now again I have quite a few panels to panels to make up, again in ash. I was thinking about going back to using good old PVA (Evostik Resin), but still rather like the idea of using PU as it is a “glue and forget” until dry.

What glue would you use?

On this theme I use bog standard Bostick wood glue on everything I (attempt) to make, is there a thread someone could point me to that lists preferred glues for different applications?

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. I'm going to use branded PVA for the next set of boards, cleaning the squeeze-out away before it dries (and the PU can stay on the shelf!). Cheers, Yetty.

I use the same glue as Phil, since it was recommended to me on here (Everbuild D4). It dries clear and doesn't stain ash. I am making an Ash cabinet at the mo. You can get this glue from Toolstation.

Ash also yellows if oiled so I would avoid oils in the future. I have been using Chestnut Acrylic Lacquer which is really easy to apply with a foam brush. It also gives a good protective finish, apart from not yellowing the wood. Any glossy lacquer finish can be cut back to make it more matt.

RogerBoyle":23rffr2s said:
Standard PVA for me but i do use a glue joint cutter just for personal preference

Roger

I agree with the PVA, but don't think a glue joint cutter is necessary with a 20mm jointing face.

Lord Kitchener":3rvvy6t1 said:
RogerBoyle":3rvvy6t1 said:
Standard PVA for me but i do use a glue joint cutter just for personal preference

Roger

I agree with the PVA, but don't think a glue joint cutter is necessary with a 20mm jointing face.

It isnt
As i stated it is just my preferance :D

RogerBoyle":3i332ivh said:
Lord Kitchener":3i332ivh said:
RogerBoyle":3i332ivh said:

Roger

It isnt
As i stated it is just my preferance :D

I didn't say you said it was, and I realised it was your preference. However, you brought the subject up so I offered my opinion on it.

Latest posts

Back