What glue to fix my router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bear

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening

The phenolic (or at least I think phenolic) base fell off the bottom of my router today, 15ish year old trend t5

Any idea on best glue to stick it back to the metal base? Doesn’t slide well without it

Cheers

Mark

Pic

Attachments

• 25BE35F7-B1D4-48A4-BE33-76C4EC94B627.jpeg
    25BE35F7-B1D4-48A4-BE33-76C4EC94B627.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 265
Epoxy. Clean it well and scuff it up, even cheapo 5 minute epoxy will do a good job.

Epoxy will certainly work, but personally I'd use DS tape in case you ever want to remove it again. In that case running an iron over it should loosen it sufficiently to be peeled or prised.

I am a little surprised as the base on my T11 has countersunk machine screws holding it on. Does it not have threaded holes for those?

Mine is doing the same. It's very thin phenolic (sub 1mm I'd say) so not screwed on, just drilled with holes to suit threaded holes in the alloy base.

Whatever you do, let me know how it works!

Rorschach":68xrcddi said:
Epoxy. Clean it well and scuff it up, even cheapo 5 minute epoxy will do a good job.

I bought some cheap UHU 2K quick, 2 part epoxy from Lidl which I planned to use for gluing a bandsaw tire with, but thankfully I ended up trying it out on my shoddy caterpillar boots instead.
I was under the impression that all epoxy needs to be stirred together really well, so I proceeded
to stir well....
After less than 2 minutes it started to set in the coffee cup before I had the chance to apply it.
Guessing this product does not need to be stirred because it comes as a double barrel with singular nozzle.
I didn't use the nozzle.
I wouldn't want to have to rely on that stuff and get a known epoxy type if I were gluing that.
It might be worth looking for some araldite...never used the stuff but Bill Carter uses it for his
planes and is fond of it.
Just my 2 cents
Tom

Ttrees":2lmi94f2 said:
Rorschach":2lmi94f2 said:

I bought some cheap UHU 2K quick, 2 part epoxy from Lidl which I planned to use for gluing a bandsaw tire with, but thankfully I ended up trying it out on my shoddy caterpillar boots instead.
I was under the impression that all epoxy needs to be stirred together really well, so I proceeded
to stir well....
After less than 2 minutes it started to set in the coffee cup before I had the chance to apply it.
Guessing this product does not need to be stirred because it comes as a double barrel with singular nozzle.
I didn't use the nozzle.
I wouldn't want to have to rely on that stuff and get a known epoxy type if I were gluing that.
It might be worth looking for some araldite...never used the stuff but Bill Carter uses it for his
planes and is fond of it.
Just my 2 cents
Tom

Since when was UHU not a known brand?

How much were you mixing up in one go? If you try to mix a large volume of quick set epoxy the heat generated can cause it to cure prematurely.
I use a lot of the LIDL UHU epoxy having switched from Evostick epoxy. The UHU works just as well at half the price.

For doing a bandsaw tyre you want a slow set epoxy that takes 24hours to cure, it will allow you to mix up a larger batch and give you plenty of working time. 5 minute epoxy is not the right glue for a job like that.

I'm not sure why no-one has mentioned contact adhesive, which to me would be the obvious choice. Could it just be that I'm the only one with a couple of large tins of the stuff kicking around in the workshop?

So I rang trend. The guy in technical said he had fixed this before with contact adhesive. I had discounted this and epoxy both for being too thick and was previously thinking of something like superglue. I have some contact adhesive already (so no you're not the only one Mike), my other worry with that is its a one shot at alignment. The double sided tape is also interesting.
Thanks for the suggestions

Mark

Rorschach":iq5ta7r0 said:
Since when was UHU not a known brand?

How much were you mixing up in one go? If you try to mix a large volume of quick set epoxy the heat generated can cause it to cure prematurely.
I use a lot of the LIDL UHU epoxy having switched from Evostick epoxy. The UHU works just as well at half the price.
Hi, I meant "known" more so as a used it before kind of thing.
I only mixed up about two to three tablespoons of the stuff.
Do you mix yours atall Rorschach?
I've got a few tubes of the stuff and I don't know if I'll get round to using it TBH.
In the end I bought some cheapo poundshop contact adhesive for those boots which worked
much better but still failed time and again...
Not seemingly the fault of the glue though, as the sub section on one of the Cat boots is not very gluable...this was all attempted after the cobbler tried.

T

2-3 tablespoons is a decent quantity for a fast set epoxy. Really they are designed for small repairs.

Yes I mix it, you must mix it very thoroughly, and then a bit more, otherwise it doesn't cure properly.

For shoes I like carpet adhesive in the spray can, very strong stuff.

I also used contact adhesive years ago to refix the plate on my Elu MOF96E and it's stayed put.

To align it I used a bit of polythene to keep the glued sections apart. lined up one edge and peeled back the polythene whilst pressing down the plate.

Ttrees":thokl1to said:
I only mixed up about two to three tablespoons of the stuff.
Only? That's a lot with 5-min, the most I ever mix now is a scant 1/2 teaspoon and I make sure I have my ducks in a row as "five minutes" is being generous unless it's cold, I find it's often noticeably stiffening after about three and by that stage you need to stop using it for anything that requires strength.

If you have to mix more in one shot and you can't use something with a slower setting time then a top tip from the epoxy guys is after blending to spread it out thinly on the mixing surface and not let it sit in a mass. This keeps it cooler so the setting reaction doesn't kick into high gear.

Back