What finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

looking for advice as to what finish would be best.
its for the pine fireplace, i want to keep the nice light natural look of the wood, but give it a really nice crisp glass like shine.
any suggestions?

thanks,

kenny.

Hi Kenny

Before giving a proper answer, could you clarify what you mean by 'glass like shine'? Are you looking for something high gloss - a mirror like shine- or just a good gloss which is visible but not overpowering?

Also, is the fireplace stained, new or aged?

hi terry.
the fireplace is in an unfinished state at the moment, i am hoping to achieve a hi-gloss nice shine but keep the pine in as natural as possible look. hope this helps.

kenny.

Hi dowels
The trouble with pine is that it will never stay light.
It darkens naturally with age.
I haven't seen anyone say what causes this but I believe it is either from oxygen in the air plus sunlight.
Fot the glass like look you would have to varnish it and varnish yellows with age.
Polyeurethane varnish keeps the air out so is more likely to keep its colour.
To achieve the finish you would need to give it a number of coats, rubbing down with fine sandpaper or wet/dry paper between coats.
Many use fine wire wool for denibbing instead of the paper or a combination of both.

Back