What finish for Walnut ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi , i've been asked to quote for 3 Walnut Vanity units and a bath panel for erm .... a bathroom :shock: Ive quoted to wax the units which will have Granite tops but not sure if Briwax is the best thing to use in a bathroom . Any advice on this please ? :?

Hi JFC

I wouldn't recommend a wax for use in a bathroom (we must get round to producing a protective overcoat for wax!) as it will watermark with any splashes that get on it.

Instead, I'd suggest perhaps an oil finish which will be very easy to apply and give you water resistance or a lacquer which will take a little more care in application but will still do the job.
These products are of course available in our range as well as from other suppliers. Let me know if you'd like more information.

More info would be gteat please . I forgot to mention the sides back and base will be MDF Walnut veneer and the front frame work and doors will be solid Walnut . Not sure if this changes your advice ? Thanks .

If i were going to the expense of fitting granite tops i'd be using solid timber.
MDF is not really suitable for a bathroom environment due to the damp. If you stick with MDF you're going to have to seal it very well, so i'd go for spray finish. Are you going to put solid lippings on the cut edges of MDF or use that plastic edge trim stuff?

Speaking about the finishing part only... (I don't feel informed enough to comment on other parts, but what has been said certainly makes sense to me)

Finishing Oil likes to penetrate the timber it is applied to so applying it to a veneer will mean that you'll have to apply very thin coats. Several coats will build to a gloss finish which will be hardwearing and water resistant.

Melamine Lacquer can be applied by brush or spray (brushing takes a bit more care!) and will give good results too. Use over a Cellulose Sanding Sealer. The lacquer will build to a gloss finish with a quick drying time.

Full details on these can be found on our website (rather than leave a long boring post!)

All exposed edges will be lipped with solid timber . A few reasons for using veneered mdf , the first is cost , without having my sums in front of me the job is around £2500-£3000 . If done in solid walnut i think with jointing the timber and extra cost of the timber the job would be around 3-4 times as much . Next is the idea of joining solid boards together making a very nice job and putting it in a room that will be full of steam a few times a day . Maybe they do a moisture resistant mdf veneer ? or i could use veneered ply .

Latest posts

Back