What finish for Ash chairs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon Bond

Reaction score
I have a set of dining room chairs made of ash. They have some watermarks and other unidentified marks on them but generally, they just need a bit of tidying up and re-upholstering. I'm planning to give them a light sanding and then coat them with something. I was wondering what the best finish would be to seal? and protect them while retaining a lightish colour.
As a confession, I put some osmo door oil on one of the legs of one of them and the wood pretty much turned black.
Any suggestions are most appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them.
Would Danish oil work in this situation, as I have some in the garage? Though, I don't want to apply something that will rub off when the chairs are being used.

When I used Osmo door oil on it the wood turned black so I'd be a bit nervous about using another Osmo product.
If so I can understand your reluctance. I have used osmo polyx oil on ash and it has been fine. Hardly changed the colour of the wood at all.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them.
Would Danish oil work in this situation, as I have some in the garage? Though, I don't want to apply something that will rub off when the chairs are being used.
No, no, no. I loath Danish oil. In fact, for ash you want to avoid anything oil based.

Latest posts

Back