What exactly is this ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
Well its a newer version of Alf's avatar
combiplane.jpg

I am no expert but I would be quite pleased to find something like that a box of old tools. :D It looks like a quick clean and you have a user :lol:
Its a plane used for cutting groves or moldings on timber. Are there any more blades in the box?

No more blades or anything other than what you see, as for the other tools in box, bought 'as seen', calipers, brass grease gun, lots of stuff like that but no blades :wink:

Dave's right - it's definitely a grooving plane. Looks in pretty good shape too! Howcome I never find old boxes of gear like this? Whenever I visit a boot fair or whatever, all that's left is the cr#p.
Mind you Dog, be careful. The neander virus will start to take hold, and you'll find yourself enjoying the simple pleasures of using hand tools, which gets extremely addictive. I'm currently taking counselling sessions meself - but I think it's got a hold. My brow is getting heavier, my upper body strength increasing, I grunt a lot more than I used to and find myself feeling far more 'tribal' in the sense of an innate feeling of superiority over those who can't seem to work without being plugged in.

Eventually, you could even end up like Alf.

Just a well-intentioned word of caution, you understand. :wink:

Steve

Yep, definitely a plough or combination plane. Not exactly a looker... but I believe they're pretty functional. Can't tell from the pics, but is there a depth stop anywhere? Without one it's rather less functional. :( Trouble is I don't really know alot about the modern ones like this :oops: but it doesn't seem to have any depth adjustment, despite the notch in the blade for it. For more cutters you can do one of three things:

1. Get some secondhand from tool dealers
2. Get some new (assuming they still have 'em) from here
3. Buy some GFS and make your own.

In use make sure the cutter is sharp, the fence is parallel and start from a couple of inches in from the far end, take a cut, move back a bit, take another cut etc until you're doing the whole length. This makes a groove that guides the nose of the plane for the rest of the cut see? Enjoy the ride down The Slope, won'tcha? :wink:

Steve":3shigshs said:
Eventually, you could even end up like Alf.
But only if you're really lucky... :p

Cheers, Alf

Dog
I was fortunate to pick up a combination Plane a Record this time though, and in its box with all of the blades, plus a bonus router plane.
But you dont often find goodies like these.

Enjoy your plane they can be great fun as compared to the tailed devils

Bean

I have one, not exactlly the same but a rebate plane non the less.
Mine belonged to my dad (god rest his soul) and was recently valued at over £600 including a full set of original blades (they are about £400 new now) so look after it.
If anyone wants to see it I could post a pic.

Dog,

Looking at the underside picture, I think that the depth stop is there, currently hard up against the sole of the plane. This is good. :D

If it where mine, I would give the screws a soak with plus gas, well thats showing my age, doubt you can still buy the stuff, used to swear by it on my old BSA :twisted: OK try some WD40 then try to slacken them and see if that is the depth stop. Post us another picture of your progress :wink:

I'll give it a good soaking in WD40 tomorrow, just bought a gallon of the stuff so that'll do nicely for this particular task and I'll post more pics as I uncover what is there and what isn't. One of the fence (?) adjustment screws is missing but no doubt I'll come across one on my travels :)

Jim, I'll add a "yes, please" to the photo request. :D

Dog, you've got a lot of luvverly rust removal to do there. :) I agree with Dave, looks like the depth stop is there. Can't see what's holding it though; pesky modern designs. :wink: I don't want to put you off, but the missing screw may be more of a problem than you think. Stanley had an unhappy knack of using non-standard threads, so you're best bet is to hope it's sufficiently new to have something a little less unusual. If worse comes to worse, you can always re-tap anyway. :D

Cheers, Alf

OK, my view, I'll let Alf correct me if I'm wrong :?

The bit you have labeled as plate1 is the depth stop, the difference in height of this to the cutting edge of the blade is how deep the groove will end up.
I will be quite honest and I don't know what function the bit you have labeled as the depth stop serves :cry: because looking at it, its below the cutting depth of the blade. Alf give your expert opinion please 8)

Dunno about expert; like I said, if it was an older one I'd be laughing. :(

Anyway, I agree the "plate" is the depth stop. I'm afraid I really have no idea if it came with a second stop. Looking at the pic I can sort of convince myself that it might fit on the other side if you spun it round 180 degs. Worth a try at any rate.

The other bit is the nicker, or scoring blade. You set that just below the level of the skate when cutting across the grain in order to cleanly sever the fibres before the iron comes along and ploughs them up. It performs the same function as the scoring blade on a high-end panel saw, if that helps the powertool enthusiasts. :D I would have expected there to be one on the other side too, but perhaps not..

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the correction, it's good to know what I'm looking at ;) The 'depth stop' is moveable to the otherside and fully adjustable via the two threaded bolts. There is no provision for another 'nicker' that I can find.

Thanks all.

Jim, looking forward to seeing your picture ;)

Back