What Epoxy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
Wondering what Epoxy is the most popular / best value for money. I have a spalted maple bowl on the lathe and one area is so soft I decided to 'dig' it out and fill it with gold glitter mixed with epoxy. Well the 5 minute stuff didn't work (went off to quickly) and at £10 a go an expensive option.

I use 30min Zpoxy, gives a longer working time allows me to do half a dozen pen planks at a time before it starts to set. Likewise when mixing in fillers it gives you longer working time.

I asked the same question about a month ago and ended up buying some everbuild stuff because I happened to be in toolstation for chainsaw oil. It is the cheapest I've found anywhere and has been very effective thus far. It certainly isn't 5 minutes cure time mind. I would give any of them at least a few hours to cure and preferably overnight.

Thanks All - both Screwfix & Toolstation only seem to stock Evo-Stick epoxy - Z-Poxy on Amazon looks better value, so will get the missus to order as she has Amazon Prime

:) - I'll stick with the 'industry standard', it's what I'm used to - but I've no reason to recommend others not to use alternate products.

Regards Mick

sammo":2lr1rwkg said:
Thanks All - both Screwfix & Toolstation only seem to stock Evo-Stick epoxy

Hi

How strange - I thought I'd liked Araldite on the Screwfix website - Ahh well

Regards Mick

sammo":1sjczkdq said:
Thanks All - both Screwfix & Toolstation only seem to stock Evo-Stick epoxy - Z-Poxy on Amazon looks better value, so will get the missus to order as she has Amazon Prime

My local branch of Toolstation definitely stocks everbuild because I only bought it recently (to stabilise threads in a screwchuck and for tool handles). I guess each branch will have different stocking policies based on size and perhaps even local market conditions.

Spindle":23v8vigp said:
To extend the working time of any epoxy, keep it in the fridge - curing is temperature dependant :wink:

That's not strictly true...... yes it can extend the cure time, but as with most (if not all) epoxy systems its the ratio of mix i.e. resin & hardener that is the true dependent on cure.

Unlike polyester, vinylester, furan resins which you can add more (or less) of the hardener to increase/decrease cure time, epoxys are manufactured to be mixed in the correct ratios for them to work properly. Generally they tend to be either 4:1 or 1:1 mix ratios. Which is why when you buy the little tubes of epoxy you tend to get equal amounts of resin and hardener in the tubes.

That said..... if any resin system then doesn't meet the minimum cure temperature v time ratio it'll never 'fully' harden (hammer)

Here's what i use.....

Nick

NikNak":21ptrk6u said:
Spindle wrote:

To extend the working time of any epoxy, keep it in the fridge - curing is temperature dependant

That's not strictly true...... yes it can extend the cure time, but as with most (if not all) epoxy systems its the ratio of mix i.e. resin & hardener that is the true dependent on cure.

Hi

Yes it is :wink:

The reaction between glue and hardener is exothermic, (it generates heat), ergo the higher ratio of hardener to adhesive the higher the temperature created and the quicker the cure, (within limits).

Regards Mick

Spindle":1m0tb0q1 said:
The reaction between glue and hardener is exothermic, (it generates heat), ergo the higher ratio of hardener to adhesive the higher the temperature created and the quicker the cure, (within limits).

Regards Mick

Having 30 years experience of using mostly epoxy resins building massive carbon fibre resin infused moulds (and i mean anything up to 50mtr long) yes, the the curing is an exothermic reaction. This also has to be controlled (by means of heating then cooling at just the right time/s.... dependent on what it is you're building) as the resins can generate so much heat the job/product you are building/working on will distort. I have also witnessed resins mixed at the wrong ratios (i.e. the 'operator' has got the ratios wrong by not looking/checking the particular ratio for that particular resin) and the product then never cures and the whole job has to be binned..... #-o

The smaller the amount being mixed the more critical the ratio becomes.

Back