What Electric Planer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aden30mm

Established Member
Reaction score
My old electric hand planer has departed this life, after sterling service.

What would the forum advise or recommend for a replacement <£200. Any good or bad feedback would be welcome.

I quite fancy the Makita KP0810K 82mm or the DeWalt DEWD26500K Planer. (I don't know the warranty period for the DeWalt is though).

Regards

Aden

The bosch 26 blocks up with anything other than a 1mm very slow cut... Its carp.

My mate has the 40-82 and that is fine with a 2-3mm cut at normal speed.

I'll second that comment on Bosch 26-82 - a vile contraption!

Makita KP0810C is good.

If you want to save yourself a bit of cash then you could do a lot worse than the Erbauer planer from screwfix. I picked one up last year and it has been faultless. Quite surprising considering some of the rubbish available under that brand but this has been excellent and not too pricey either.

I will probably go for the Makita KP0810K, considering their spares/dealer/manufacturer support. The Makita tooling I have currently is well put together and delivers a quality finish.

However Memzey has placed a doubt in my mind the Erbauer seems almost to good to be true, the 1050W is the same as the Makita, as is the depth of cut. I bought an Erbauer Reciprocating saw whilst in London for a rush job and am very impressed with it.

Many thanks for the feedback.

The typical problem with Erbauer products is the lack of spares. This planer however uses standard knives and belts (which will be the main consumables). I'm not sure about the bearings but I'd be shocked if they were anything other than bog standard too.

Aden30mm":3q0dvqj4 said:
Ross, what was the issue with the Bosch GHO 26-82?

As well as the clogging up issue, which is very very annoying and it seems like others have noticed this. Within the first couple of hours use, the belt slipped on mine and burnt out with lots of smoke, plus the little sprung "foot" lost it's springiness without too much use.

I also find the wood razor blades are a wee bit fragile. I think the single blade idea is a bit of carp!

Thanks for the heads up on the Erbauer, just picked one up from Screwfix and gave it a quick spin on and old gatepost, bloody amazing thing..... 24 month Warranty

Back