What Drill Press...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
:twisted: It's time to buy my next tool :twisted:

I'm going to buy a drill press sooner or later. i don't want something huge - a bench top model will do me nicley. I was looking at some of the cheaper models (the ferm,clarke ones etc...) Which are around £40

Has anybody had any expirience with these 'cheaper' drill presses?
Do they have Induction or Brush motors ?

Any advice would be great :lol:

Dont get the Clarke Drill Press like I did cause it is rubbish and made in China.

For another £20 Go for a floor standing one.

Have a look at the Rexon models seem to be better made
[/b]

James,

D&M Tools have 'em too. The DEL 11900 at £92.95. A lot less than Rutlands. Failing that, how about one of Axminster's Perform ones? They seem to be pretty well spoken of. Although, if you can go up to the White ones, they have a keyless chuck which is very handy. FWIW.

Cheers, Jester

Sawdust Producer - I've heard bad about Clarke to. I havn't got the room for a floor standing model.

I was thinking maybe about a perform one Jester - good Idea.

I don't know if the Perform has an induction motor. Probably does - I'll look into it

James

et. al.

I find that a bench top Drill press is ideal for someone who is building furniture. I have mine on a shop built mobile base. Why? Two for one idea. My base is a two drawer file cabinet. Since I need the cabinet, and the drill press, I put both of them into the same space. The distance from the center of the quill to the post is more important to me than how tall it is. Shop built table on it has made it a lot more user friendly.

Don't want too sound like a buttocks but you do get what you pay for with all the chepper tools.

Mike
I buy a lot of budget tools, some are great :D , some I have to say are not :( , infact some can and have been a danger :x .
Your best bet is to try and find sombody that has one before you buy.
I had a power devel circular saw :( it lacked power, jamed and proved to be complete rubish and a waste of the £50 i spent on it :x . I changed it for a Parkside (Lidle own brand) it cost me £45 and is great :D will cut a 8x3 timber like butter it has soft start, 4 speeds and the adjustments are easy and true
Mick B

Yes i know that some cheaper tools are good and some are not so good i know from experience i had a 12v performance power drill driver for about 6 months before the battery just basicly wouldent keep its charge long enough and yes i did keep the drill inside during colder months over night,Then i got my B&D 12v firestorm drill driver and there was a lot of improvement this thing can drive 80mm chipboard screws with no pilot hole into soft wood and my old one couldent even drive it 3/4 the way in.

Yeah B&Q power performance drills are rubbish. I used to have a 9.6v Powerdevil and that was also rubbish - Now i've got 2 -12v Makita drills.

B&D are OK for medium duty work. I've never had a firestorm but a friend does and it doesn't have that push mine do. Also it takes a long time to charge - which is fine but it's more convienient if your batteries charge in 40mins.

James

You say we should look at your reviews of cheeper tools to see how good they are.

Have your reviewers used industrial machinery to compare them to, or are they generally pleased with their first experience of a new tool.

Doughnut you can't compare budget tools to industrial macines, of course a £2000 table saw will do a better job then a £200 one :roll:

The reviews James has done for UKWorkshop are of budget tools that he's bought. They all do the job they were designed to do, well and with them he's made some great items.

You should stick to the rule 'Buy the best you can afford' when ever you can but remember not all budget tools are rubbish.

Back