What Drill Press...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK OK OK OK
Dont gang up on me :(
Maybe the word 'industrial' shouldnt have been used :? , but the point I am trying to make is; to test a tool properly and be able to give an oppintion on that tool, past experience of that type of tool, DIY rated or otherwise, is needed. For Instance a friend of mine bought a 'Ferm' router for about £25 and thought it was brilliant. He then had a go with a trend T3 (costs about £40, 5 pints more than the Ferm router) and was amazed at the difference between these two machines. So amazed he parted with £40 there and then.
The question I was asking is; are the tests you produce a measure of how good a tool is against other tools on the market at a similar price, or how good a tool is against its hand tool equivilant. Lets face it, after you've ripped 50' of 2" timber by hand, the poorest table saw on the market is going to seem like a prince among machines.

"If God gave us only lemons, then we would make lemonade"

Doughnut

By the way, Ive seen pics of James's work on his website, and already complimented him.

Ok Ok - you've forced me to this.

At school we use Meddings drill presses and I know these are industrial and are not cheap.

And my Perform one was just as good :p

I got bought a B&Q Performance Power pillar drill about 2 years ago. I think it was only £35 at the time, and I wasn't a big woodworker then.

It has started to develop a bit of play in the quill bearings. An old work colleague said that replacing them with better quality bearings greatly improved the drill as a whole.

Anyone ever replaced bearings in a drill before?

Duncan, Have youtried tightening the nut above the Quill to the left facing you below the return spring mechanisum

Not to tight or the quill will not return home

tried posting a pic to explain

I probably haven't described the right bit.

If I have a bit in the drill, there is slight play so that the bit point can move a fraction of a millimetre (or more!!) when resting on a piece of wood.

I haven't noticed elliptical holes yet, but it is more noticable when using larger bits or forstner bits. (The virbation when using a 50mm forstner bit shook the chuck off the quill!!!)

Yeah, the problem I had was with a mortcing chisel.

When downward pressure was applied the chisel would move of 90 degres untill I took the slack up on the quill, works fine now.

Have you tried taken the play up on the bearing if there is a way( I`m thinking of weel bearings on cars done it many atime).

Other than that, bfore you change the bearing make sure you got one that will fit as you may have to drift the thingy out and ballbearings everywhere.

Should be able to get bearings from specalised bearing dealers.[[/img]

James

Have you tried using a 50mm (or bigger) forstner bit in your perform drill, this tends to be a good test.

I don't own a drill press, but I was checking out the presses in my local B&Q while my wife was wandering around the Christmas stuff, and they looked pretty impressive for the price. They were very solidly built, rock steady and had a good level of control, as far as I could see.

Did a closer analysis of my drill press at the weekend.

If I wind the quill down and then grab hold of it, the is rather a LOT of play between it and the body of the drill. No wonder my drills seem to wonder about!!.

Christmas is on it's way.......... :p

Latest posts

Back