What do you think

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the years we have had a regular influx of new members and when a newbies join the forum they tend to ask a lot of questions, which is understandable. We all know the frustrations of when we first started using a scroll saw, we made mistakes and some mistakes were expensive as we bought things we thought we needed but never really used or we bought the wrong scroll saw.

In the time I have been a member of the forum I have built up a list of very good friends whom I am in regular contact with and almost every week I get e-mails or PMs from the newer members asking for advice on a whole range of topics related to scroll saw work and a lot of what I write is quite repetitive.

What I am thinking of doing is collating all the articles I have written and then adding some more with lots of photographs and a few videos which would be aimed at the beginner. It would be a complete book on scroll sawing in a nutshell but quite a bit different from other books. I spent some time with my son earlier, who has just had his second book published, he said I could also release the book as an e-book on places like Amazon. The idea has a lot of appeal for me as I love helping those who are just starting but I was wondering how the members would feel about this and would it be worthwhile as a lot of work would go into compiling it all.

Go for it, Geoff. The only books that I know of relating to using the saw, rather than patterns, are at least a decade old - Patrick Spielman died in 2004. While the basics don't change, the saws and the blades do, along with tools for finishing. I am sure there's lots of stuff to go in a book that my migraine won't let me think of this morning.

Great idea Geoff :D especially if there is good coverage on which scroll saw to buy on a budget. There seems to be a few between £80-£150, but knowing which one to buy! I spent weeks searching for one with out
really knowing what to look for, thankfully around the same time someone else asked the question and a member [Jonluv] recommended the Sealey having used one himself for a few years. After a couple of PM's, two days later I too purchased the Sealey, and you know how chuffed I've been with it. Saying that, it took me several weeks to work out or find out how folk managed to do internal cuts on larger pieces, and it was only after seeing a you tube video on the Excailbur I realised the top arm swings up allowing the blade to thread through the top of the work piece instead of the bottom. No doubt the swinging arm is only avaliable on expensive machines, unless there's a few tricks to get around it!

Alternatively, use the How-to section of this forum to store the information for those in the future.

There would be no income from the How-to section route, but then again there would be no distraction from scrolling to do the e-book and you know that there is income from scrolling. Depends on which would bring in the most income - in my mind I suspect scrolling.

Brian

Yes, a great idea Geoff.

I think all of the books on scroll sawing, and related info, are American based, the techniques are the same, the world over, but the availability of scroll saws, equipment and even materials are vastly different/limited in the UK.

Take care.

Chris R.

ChrisR":2dbz412k said:
I think all of the books on scroll sawing, and related info, are American based, the techniques are the same, the world over, but the availability of scroll saws, equipment and even materials are vastly different/limited in the UK.

I agree with this. Setting up as a beginner can be a different experience in the UK. Saw availability, saw label (fretsaw/scrollsaw) differently named products(a recent thread here mentions mineral oil), finding good quality wood, very American YouTube videos; the list is lengthy. A new book from a UK perspective would be very welcome. Having read many of your articles you would be just the chap to write it.

Very good idea Geoff, i'm a relative newcomer and have noticed that the same questions from newbies keep cropping up, to put all your knowledge into an e book is a very good idea, i for one would be willing to pay for a copy,go for it Geoff

It sounds like a good idea, Geoff, but be aware that writing a book and preparing it for publication, even ebook format, is very time consuming.
Sam

Hi Geoff
I've been telling you that for a while now, and as someone who only started scrolling about 18 months ago I found that your posts were the ones that I would seek out because of the insight into the craft and the fact that they offered a no B*llsh1t guide on what to do and what was the best way of doing it. You should go for it
Regards
Brendan

I would do a lot of research into the project and question why you want to do it before you put much work into it. If it is to make money, then I think that you will be disappointed at best, and if you factor in the time that you could otherwise have been spent selling stuff, you will probably make a loss. I looked at a similar idea for another hobby that I have been involved with for well over 15 years. Again, limited useful books available for beginners, and I had a format different to any others out there. I spoke in passing to a publisher, who was vaguely interested, but it was effectively a vanity project- get my name on the cover of a book, but it wouldnt generate anything much in monetary terms. I also looked at self publishing through Amazon, but again it wasnt really worth the workload.

There are, of course, other reasons to do such a project. Helping people for instance, in which case the monetary reward is not of real importance.

The other idea might be something like the scroll saw equivalent of workshop essentials- choosing a saw, setting it up, using it safely, extra equipment, jigs or simple projects. It could be a dvd or a youtube video, although filming costs, editing costs, production costs etc I would expect are not cheap. Self filming, for youtube might not be so bad, but would need some equipment at least.

Do you have any idea of the size of the uk scrollsaw market? Is there a uk scrollsaw magazine, or are they not viable due to market size? Dont forget that in here you will get a disproportionate amount of people saying "great idea". It is, after all a captive audience, and people have possibly stumbled on this forum looking for advice. Each and every member has managed without such a book so far.

I dont want to rain on your parade Geoff, but having thought myself that "I could pull my existing stuff together and produce a book", and then taking it half a step forward, I want you to question any assumptions that you have made. You will have some valuable insight from your son- looks like he has some relevant experience in this area.

I hope that helps, and whatever you do, good luck

Mark

Not wishing to appear negative or anything but I feel that Marcros has made some excellent points and offered very worthwhile advice. yes there are quite a few here who are scroll-sawers but scroll-sawing is a very niche hobby, for example how many of us actually have friends or family who do scroll-sawing or how many people do you know that even know what scroll-sawing is? The only people who I am in contact with who are interested are in this forum.

A few years ago we did have UK scroll-saw magazine it commenced late 1998 and only 9 issues were published before it was discontinued in May 2000 through lack of sales, I subscribed and have every issue and was disappointed when it ceased publication.

For a subject like scroll-sawing I feel it would be a labour of love and that little money would be made from it, in fact probably it would cost more than it generated, Most of the books on scroll-saws are American but that is because they do have a much bigger population than the UK and in general Americans do seem to be more interested in crafts.

I suppose if it was just an ebook you would not have publishing costs etc but pethaps it's just me but I hate reading ebooks and just do not have interest in them like a proper paper book you can get to grips with.

A friend of mine was a fairground fanatic and had a book published but it has cost him a lot of cash, when he last mentioned it to me he had still not broke even and was trying to sell copies at half price to try to get his money back, sad thing is that he has now lost his interest in Fairgrounds?

I would possibly buy a decent British Scroll-saw book in print format but I would not be so keen on paying for an ebook for as I mentioned above I do not like reading much on a screen.

Anything that helps people and creates interest in the hobby has to be worthwhile.

Have you thought of contacting any of the woodworking magazines available in the UK to see if they want a monthly Scroll saw feature where readers can get tips and maybe a monthly project to try? you could also let readers "Ask Geoff" for advice.
Cheers
Brian
ps would also like a UK Scrolling book :cool:

Many thanks to everyone for their kind comments and encouragement. Marcros has indeed raised some valid points but at the outset I would like to point out that my motives for writing a book are not financial ones although there will be some financial reward.
The main reason I shall be undertaking this project is purely to help the beginner. We all know how frustrating it is learning a new hobby, especially when there is no one to guide and give advice. For the newcomer money can be wasted and a lot of good wood ruined through inexperience and an enthusiasm to get a few things made.
Writing the book is quite straight forward as far as I can see, it will take a lot of hard work but my son has a foot firmly established in the publishing world so there won’t be a problem on that side of things. Many years ago I used to be a newspaper journalist so I am half way there already and I have all the equipment I need for photography and making the videos.
I am quite looking forward to the challenge.

There has been a book published by John Everett via guild of master craftsmen titled
practical acrollsaw patterns. what i remember it had a chapter on scrollsaw basics
might be worth looking in your library

Geoff, I've found your posts to be very helpful too, and as a newbie I think further forum threads, or a blog (even if you ask for donations towards it or charge for a few patterns) would be the best way to go.

If you're still thinking of a book, as they say on Dragons' Den, what's the market size? How many people take up scrollsawing per year? A few hundred? How many of them will hear about the book and want to buy it? If you get, I don't know, 10% of a £10-15 cover price, I suspect it would bring in less financial reward per year than a good craft fair, and might take much more time to write.

Also, if you're trying to keep up-to-date with new scrollsaw models, blades, timber suppliers, etc. then you might need to do a new edition every few years. Much easier to do online, IMHO. If you wanted a financial reward, you could charge per article (How to run a scrollsaw craft fair stall, Christmas Gift Ideas), or for access to a set of reviews (£750+ Professional Scrollsaws, Sub-£300 Hobby Scrollsaws).

Hope that doesn't sound negative - if there was a good book for beginner scrollsawers I'd be tempted (especially if it talked about setting up tension, how to quickly change blades, future upgrades, etc.) but it's a small part of a niche market so there may not be many others wanting to buy.

puzzler":3nuwrj40 said:
There has been a book published by John Everett via guild of master craftsmen titled
practical acrollsaw patterns. what i remember it had a chapter on scrollsaw basics
might be worth looking in your library

IMHO the very finest book published about Scroll sawing are either The scroll saw handbook or the newer New Scroll saw handbook both by the late Patrick Spielman both of these books are really interesting and very informative, both cover all aspects of the hobby. one or other of these is essential reading for anyone interested in the hobby! from beginners to the experienced scroll sawer.

Attachments

• scrollsaw 1.JPG
    scrollsaw 1.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 305
  • scroll book 2.JPG
    scroll book 2.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 305
Its a great idea Geoff but I have to agree with marcros/scrimper. I was going to suggest contacting some of the UK woodworking mags as claymore did.
Which ever route you choose I'm positive it will be a success just as your excellent articles you painstakingly produce on here.

Geoff, if your main objective is provide information for others, it would be easier to do it in blog format. I do small one regarding pyrography in which I have incorporated some tips. You can set it up easily and free and just add to it when time allows. http://www.shirewriting.blogspot.com
Sam

If I ever get round to scrollsawing, it is one of my intentions, I'll probably start with looking at a book. So if you produce one I'll probably buy it so long as it isn't too expensive. So, yes, thumbs up from me.

Back