What do you look for in a good router table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustalley

Established Member
Reaction score
Later this august, I will be taking you step by step through building a router table, on my site www.sawdustalley.co.uk Its going to hopefully be great, and you will be able to download plans and cost lists.

I want to know what YOU think I should include. Give me some ideas for features, what router I should use. etc...

If you have built a router table, what could you have done to make it even better?

Sawdust

I really like the Rout-R-Lift idea. The ability to accurately set the cutter height from above the table would be a great plus for me. Dust extraction is also a key point, no use in cutting something if you can't see what you are cutting. I guess finally, a fence that you can adjust accurately.
I have a Trend Craftsman 2 table that serves very well. However, setting the fence & cutter height is a trial an error process. Whilst this has served me well, I intend to build a table based on the Rout-R-Lift or similar and include one of incras jigs to facilitate a fence and other uses. A littel expensive I know but what a tool when it is finished. :lol: I am assuming that I can put it all together in a manner that means a true cut :? Watch this space! :D

Regards

Wiz

You will be pleased, as my table is based using a router lift product :)

I like your point about dust extraction, that one passed me buy. I'll have a think, my initial response would be to take it from the back of the fence.

I already have a jointer, and to be honest I dont want to spend a long time maing th fence adjust like that. But I may consider it, as it would be a good feature for others.

I'm going to put alot of thought into the fence as it is important.

I look forward to it. :)

I have just bought a budget router ( not got round to using it yet) . Had thought of getting one of those router mats to hold the work. Are these any good?

Also have considered a biscuit jointer but understand you can get cutters to do the same job with the router. Does anyone here cut their biscuit joints with a router?

Anyways, bring on the Table :)

Cheers

Billzee

I feel that the most important things are:

1. A split fence, like you have on a spindle moulder
2. The ability to access the collet for cutter changing rather than scrabbling around under the table
3. Ease of raising and lowering the router
4. Good dust extraction, both above and below the table required
5. Stability. A good solid base
6. Big enough size to handle items the size of a chair leg
7. Table top at the right height, circa 900 to 950mm off the floor
8. A Direct on Line starter for safety

BTW, Billzee, those "sticky" mats do work quite well although not as well as a pair of G-cramps. They do need to be kept clean of dust, however, as when they are dirty they do not work well (in other words a qualified "yes").

Scrit

Hi,

One thing that i think is a must if you are going to do any raised panel doors with a large raised panel door cutter, is the ability to remove the insert so that there is room for the cutter to clear the table. Obvious i know, but i looked at about 5 or 6 tables when i bought mine 5 years ago and none of them allowed for this, so i had to cut a bigger aperture myself. Not ideal in a new table but it works.

The more i think about it the more i like the idea of building a new table, especialy with the Rout-R-Lift in it.What about building some drawers etc into it for all your router bits, templetes, and fences.

Best of luck

Mike.C

Hi scrit, yup, tried mine the other day, does work pretty good. Its true clamps work better but the drawback is having to uncramp the work in some cases to reposition it.
The mat from axminster has a large weave which apparently is better with coping with the debris etc.

Can't wait for the Table :)

cheers

billzee

Hmm,

I cant see myself making raised panel doors, although I might - Good point to bear in mind I have my heart set on the router lifting device - But I will mention that if its a problem.

Back