What do you know about a hardwood called Balau?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fobos8

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Not really a "Workshop" project but as you are all wood experts I thought this would be a good place to ask.

About to start a large decking project and really wanted to use Ipe (a.k.a Brazilian Walnut) boards as its beautiful and very tough. However there seems to be a big shortage of it at the moment so I'm being offered Balau as an alternative.

Anyone know anything about it and its suitability for decking?

I'm not really into oiling so would leave it to go natural and grey.

Kind regards, Andrew

Hi

my deck is yellow balau

extremely hard wearing

has to be predrilled ...even a impact driver wont put them in
i would drill hole oversize ...if it moves it will shear a screw in no time

i used a biscuit joiner to cut a groove above support joists
I then drove a crew in the gap between them with steel penny washers in the biscuit slots

nice clean job and no screw heads...apart from first row

Steve

Thanks for The Wood Database link

it says this about durability

Rot Resistance: Highly variable among species; should be considered as non-durable in regard to decay resistance, and is also susceptible to insect attack.

non-durable is classified as 5-10 years

my decking is about 5 years old

going grey gracefully
has sheared quite a few green decking screws but replaced with stainless and seems a better choice

would i use it again? yes without a doubt
will it last ? i am 50 this year..guess it will still be strong in another 50 judging by the way it is holding up
not a single split or twist

Steve

Many years ago I worked for a firm that made floating pontoons and we used Balau for the decking. It is indeed very dense. I have seen planks dropped in the water sink........

Boatfixer - did you see any of the pontoons after a few years? How did the Balau hold up?

Back