what do you guys think about the B&Q Bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomaskennedy

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't have a bandsaw yet, but have been studying all the different models. I would have thought that the B&Q model was more like the Perform CCBB @£199

Having a B&Q table saw had put me off somewhat from buying another B&Q tool, but, did relent at the weekend and bought a Performance Pro cordless circular saw, down from £79.98 to £39.98 with case 2 18v batteries and fast 1hr. charger. I have to admit for the price I'm quite impressed nice quality and finish ,cuts sheet material ok - which is what I wanted it for. With a 3 year guarantee as well. Overall I'm pretty pleased.

You can always take it back if it doesn't work as well as you'd hoped. £149 ain't a bad price for the spec.

Nick

rookie":39knh65n said:
Having a B&Q table saw had put me off somewhat from buying another B&Q tool, but, did relent at the weekend and bought a Performance Pro cordless circular saw, down from £79.98 to £39.98 with case 2 18v batteries and fast 1hr. charger. I have to admit for the price I'm quite impressed nice quality and finish ,cuts sheet material ok - which is what I wanted it for. With a 3 year guarantee as well. Overall I'm pretty pleased.

Nick
Grrrr.
I had been looking at their site and these saws havent been there for some time. I bought one last year when they were introduced at £80 and have only used it once and was pleased with it's performance. I bought it primarily for use on sheet materials sold at places with no cutting service.
I made a couple of folding saw horses so I could cut sheets in the car park to fit in the car. You can save quite a bit this way.
Take Wickes as an example. Their 8x2 sheets are only a pound less than an 8x4. Their 8x4 WBP 18mm ply is half the price of a plywood supplier. 3 sheets paid for the saw :)

Thomas

Don't know if I am too late with this but I went to B&Q today to pick up some ply for yet another jig and saw the bandsaw you speak of.

Even at £144 I would not consider it much of a bargain. The max height of cut does not look very high to me. The fence is very poor and the mitre guage one of the worst I've seen - sloppy and a very short guide bar.

Also, on the one I saw, the slot for blade removal lies perpendicular to the blade rather than aligned with it. I would expect this ito make blade changes more difficult.

My main concern was the blade guides. They are not bearings, but small bushes. I strongly recommend that you look out for a better saw, one with bearing to guide the blade.

The Charnwood 720 which I believe someone suggested earlier is a far superior machine, and better quality all round. I bought mine for £160ish as an ex demo.
In fact, I have loads of ex demo Charnwood kit and am chuffed to bits with it.

Cheers

Tony

thanks tony!
thank god i didnt buy it and be dissapointed with it!!

i have only looked at it for a few mins in the shop, as i saw it on thir website first.

The one i saw was wrecked! Thats what happens to display models though i suppose!

So if anyone knows of a bandsaw that is under £200 and has a large cutting depth please let me know!

also, i have been browsing many a catalogue and website, and i have found that there is the small models, at say £100, then they jump up massivly after this! annoying really :roll:

Tom

thomaskennedy":sl54et0b said:
The one i saw was wrecked! Thats what happens to display models though i suppose!

So if anyone knows of a bandsaw that is under £200 and has a large cutting depth please let me know!

Tom
I have used the state of the demo models a good indication of the quality.
I was going to buy a small pillar drill once til I saw that the drill guard & depth stop had broken.
A table saw had a bent, damaged fence guide.
This made up my mind. I wouldn't buy either but went elsewhere for better quality kit.

Tom,

The Perform CCBB currently on special offer down from £227.95 to £199.95 with 160mm depth, 300mm throat would seem to fit the bill admirably. As long as you don't have a phobia about bright yellow... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

JOAT / JT would still paint Perform tools as his yellow is a slightly lighter shade....

Rgds

Noel.

Latest posts

Back