What do you do for a living then?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. My contribution.
I’m a chartered Civil Engineer;. Spent the first thirteen years post Uni helping the then newly privatised water companies dig up bits of East and West coast Scotland, North Yorkshire, Devon, Cornwall and most of the Isle of Wight. Got fed up doing dirty water (I’m is sewage is a pretty cr*p chat up line) and joined a firm of Project Managers. Wanted to do property development, but life had other ideas. So I’ve spent the last 6 years managing transport related projects for London underground.
My folks live in Nigeria. Dad’s also a Civil Engineer. He used to turn wood for a hobby. Mum took hobby and turned it into a pretty successful business – turning, joinery etc. Educated a few siblings with the proceeds. So I guess I grew up surrounded by timber (retail outlet was the garage in the house).
Got into woodwork as a hobby after we bought our first house and got a quote for some fitted wardrobes.

OK my turn on this wonderful thread, won't take up much space.

Left school 1952 age 15.

Went to work in the coal mining industry.(there were about 28 mines all within cycling distance to choose from)

Made redundant in 1988 age 51 and retired.

Loved every day of it. :D :D :D :D

Alan.

Back