What do you collect

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
God I must be boring, I don’t collect anything, last thing I collected was American Bubble gum cards, can still smell it now after half a century. Ian
Yes, I can imagine the smell too. Most young lads in the playground used to flick the cards trying to knock down cards that had been stood up against a wall or something equally suitable. If you were successful and knocked down the last standing card you collected 'the pot' all the cards used. Seem to remember some quite gruesome scenes on the war cards! Wouldn't get away with it now.......PC Police you know.

God that’s awful, and not cheap either. I’m surprised it’s allowed on the road with those sharp corners and edges, not what you would call subtle!

a few expressed interest in the second delorean I was hoping to buy. I went up to the midlands today to view it and came away empty handed. It was a very rare car, due one of 3 factory RHD, there were about another 16 but these were done by wooler hodec, had great historical value but the guy wanted top dollar and when I looked at it, it was obvious that there was a lot of work to put it right. These cars have a ceiling price and my fear was that I'd end up chucking to much at it, so walked away. So I just have a standard LHD one for the moment.

a few expressed interest in the second delorean I was hoping to buy. I went up to the midlands today to view it and came away empty handed. It was a very rare car, due one of 3 factory RHD, there were about another 16 but these were done by wooler hodec, had great historical value but the guy wanted top dollar and when I looked at it, it was obvious that there was a lot of work to put it right. These cars have a ceiling price and my fear was that I'd end up chucking to much at it, so walked away. So I just have a standard LHD one for the moment.

Oh well. Can't win them all.
Thank's for the update, though.

Do inexplicable cuts and bruises count?

I've never really thought of them as 'collections' as they were all for use and regular enjoyment rather than display only but over the years I have owned and enjoyed a lot of photographic equipment, books and records/CD's.

About the only thing I'm an avid collector of now is Nectar points which I then exchange for ebay vouchers. Earlier this year, I 'bought' a brand new Axminster bandsaw, entirely paid for by nectar points converted to ebay vouchers. And yesterday I took delivery of an SK100 chuck, two thirds of it paid for by converted nectar points.

Watches. Far too many. The core of the collection is older (1970s) Omega Speedmasters (Moonwatch, MKii, Mkiii, Mkiv etc) and Heuer chronos of the same era, plus similar/related models from Tissot, Zodiac etc. I think there may be approx 60 or 70.

just got this little beauty.
It's an Ferrari 500 Indy American retro pedal car.

IMG_5946.JPG

Bottle caps! My wife is a huge Fallout (computer game) fan, in which bottle caps of drinks are the currency after a nuclear holocaust.

So we ask people who are close to us to save their bottle caps.

There is one small woodworking project in it which may use about a 100, but god knows what we are going to do with the other 2200!

You should use the name Festus (the animated rancher) from the Sunset Sarsaparilla company! Ha ha, love that game! Oh no, I have that song in my head now “I got spurs that jingle, jangle, jingle….” Damit, damit, damit…

Vintage analytical balances - purely mechanical ones that can weigh accurately down to a ten-thousandth of a gram. They mainly date from the 1950s and IMHO are objects of great beauty as well as precision.

I have four, which is realistically all I have room for, under current domestic arrangements.

IMG_20220204_101837400.jpg

Nothing Adam, I have no actual use for them, just think they are beautifully engineered and worth preserving. Expensive items in their day.

edit: Although, thinking back, my Dad used to get me to weigh his wedding ring every few years or so, to see how much gold had worn off. He kept a graph of loss mass over time. Useless information of course.

LOL I thought this thread was done!

I have a nice collection of coins from around the world, started by nicking pfennigs off the German fishermen's boats as a small kid! Then my dad started bringing me back coins from his deployments with the UN.

I had a great collection of vintage t-shirts from band tours, until my mum binned them when I was in Oz, cos she needed the suitcase... 🤬

I used to collect watches too but I decided I only needed one watch. I still have a dozen or so I can't bring myself to let go.

I seen to have collected a fair number of West German ceramics, not sure how.

Vintage analytical balances - purely mechanical ones that can weigh accurately down to a ten-thousandth of a gram. They mainly date from the 1950s and IMHO are objects of great beauty as well as precision.

I have four, which is realistically all I have room for, under current domestic arrangements.

View attachment 128598

Oh that is beautiful. Thank you for posting. I'm jealous. Very.

I just seem to collect sawdust and blunt chisels.

Back