What do you collect

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They've all gone up a lot since the pandemic, although landrover prices rocketed after they announced they weren't making them any more ( or at least not in that shape )
If it aint broke, don't fix it šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I had a beautiful Defender which was my pride and joy. It was nicked overnight from my drive. It was no consolation but I got a good deal more than I paid for it or spent on it from the insurance claim. I hadnā€™t the heart to buy a new one knowing that sooner or later some turnip would pinch it!!

I had a beautiful Defender which was my pride and joy. It was nicked overnight from my drive. It was no consolation but I got a good deal more than I paid for it or spent on it from the insurance claim. I hadnā€™t the heart to buy a new one knowing that sooner or later some turnip would pinch it!!

Ooh! I like the way the forum software turns my use of the word for someone born out of wedlock to ā€œturnipā€ !! Vey nifty!!

I have a collection of machine tools - wood and metalwork. Wadkin, startrite, deckel, hardinge, smart and brown, oerlikon. If its obsolete and has "gizmosity" (die filing machine, pantograph or metal shaper) I'm all over it. Manual machinery is so much more interesting than a CNC, even if its not as quick or productive. I try to trade up though to limit having multiples of the same machine. Current count is 5 lathes, but they all do different things, honest!

Also have a substantial collection of vices, to the point where I'm running out of room on the trophy shelves!

I have a collection of machine tools - wood and metalwork. Wadkin, startrite, deckel, hardinge, smart and brown, oerlikon. If its obsolete and has "gizmosity" (die filing machine, pantograph or metal shaper) I'm all over it. Manual machinery is so much more interesting than a CNC, even if its not as quick or productive. I try to trade up though to limit having multiples of the same machine. Current count is 5 lathes, but they all do different things, honest!

Also have a substantial collection of vices, to the point where I'm running out of room on the trophy shelves!
I too have a substantial collection of vices....!

God I must be boring, I donā€™t collect anything, last thing I collected was American Bubble gum cards, can still smell it now after half a century. Ian

So what determines when something is "a collection"? Versus "a necessity of life", or "a curiosity" or just things that take up space in an allotted place ... unlike David W, who has everything and all over the place? :) (sorry David :)).

I assume that a Collector needs to have a sort of obsessive streak ... adding one more just because it fits the grouping? My wife has this thing for shoes ... shades of Imelda Marcos. I encourage this as she does not complain about my purchases.

I do have access to 7 million music albums. Of course, they are all in the Cloud, belonging to Tidal. Can a Borrower be a Collector? Generally, I collect in series of 1 item. Then I move on to another item. And another. Can I be a collector of disparate items?

Regards from Perth

Derek

With the reorg and sort out of the workshop underway, I discovered over the weekend that I am/was apparently a secret collector of Sporks. Just chucked 32 of them in the skip. Found in some really unexpected places in the workshop, not a bad number to have collected over the ~8 years I have been in this little hideaway.

There comes a stage in life when you know that there are tools, materials, fittings, bicycles, garden machinery or whatever sitting around your workshop or house that you don't have enough years left to use
Glad I am not alone, yes the point where you realise you only have two hands and there are only so many hours in a week. My approach is that you need to narrow down the field and then concentrate on whats left, but letting go! I find that some stuff you can sell but all you get in exchange is money, another way I find is to just give it to someone that will really appreciate it who may not be in a position to buy and put a smile on their face, showing there is more to life than money.

Good advice thanks, there will be a lot of stuff from my workshop I canā€™t take to the states with me later next year, will have to find a deserving cause. Ian

With the reorg and sort out of the workshop underway, I discovered over the weekend that I am/was apparently a secret collector of Sporks. Just chucked 32 of them in the skip. Found in some really unexpected places in the workshop, not a bad number to have collected over the ~8 years I have been in this little hideaway.
Never heard of 'em; so just googled & now I know!

Back