What do you collect

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose I could also say I collect Deloreans, I have one at present but just about to buy another. Wife doesn't get it. To be fair I will probably sell the original one as the second is a bit special.
Why is no one else teasing this out? Please tell more.

I collect thoughts. Earth spinning at n miles per second, encompassed of gravity to the Sun. And why we have not yet found a way to harvest two thirds of the world (sea water), to store electricity from the Sun that shines all the time, and will last around another billion or more years. It should also be mentioned I've just been jabbed.

Aquariums, it was an addiction of mine a few years back but a house move helped ween me off them, and now a chance meeting with another aquarium user brought me back into the habit. I currently have 7 set up and another 3 in waiting. I can spend hours zoned out in an aquarium black hole, it's unhealthy.

I've got one sitting in the shed - about 3 x 1 foot. Can the glass be recovered to use as shelving ?

Roses.
On the way home from a Yandles show we called at a Garden Centre just off the M5 near Avonmouth, Sanders Garden World?
My wife saw a Rose she fancied (Munstead Wood) and it was duly purchased.
When I got home I googled to try and learn what to do with it and I was hooked. I am now over 20 in number with some success occasionally because of me and sometimes despite of me.
Russell

...or rip them onto a server and then you can get rid of the CDs... Go digital and no CDs, no cd player, no loss in quality either.

I did this with our 500+ CDs some years ago. Not looked back.
Right up until server dies taking everything with it, unless you have a raid array server farm backup, with separate off site back ups to.

Had a friend do similar, about 6 months after he had a scare when his hard drive took a dive, he hadn't any other backup or cloud storage, luckily we got all data back from it for him.

I advised him he really needed to get his backup safe store sorted out. Like everyone else today they wold reach for cloud storage.

Didn't see him for a few months, when we next met I asked had he got a backup system sorted, OH yes he smiled, but took me a couple of months to do it, but now I've backed everything onto cds for safety.

He really couldn't understand my fit of hysterical laughter, to this day I dont think he grasps the hilariousness of it.

As they say, stupidity can't be taught, it takes skill to be that dumb......

Right up until server dies taking everything with it, unless you have a raid array server farm backup, with separate off site back ups to.

Probably just as well then that I have mirrored Synology SANs in two buildings 100mtrs apart - my office/workshop and the comms rack in the main house, both protected by online UPS plus several TB of Google Cloud storage as tertiary backup (our uplink is slow as we don't have fibre here yet). There's a UniFi 1.7Gbps Building-to-Building bridge between the house and office, so that's fast enough (the whole network here, including all the APs, is UniFi).

TBH, either or both of the SANs could serve up the music - the LMS server is a bit redundant in that aspect, except it talks to the client nodes (mostly RPi 3Bs running Max2Play with IQaudIO hats, but that will change in the next few months). The server does have Spotify &YouTube etc connectors and does also serve up internet radio, so that's useful - my wife is a polyglot (7 languages, including modern Greek and Arabic) and uses many foreign stations to "keep her ear in" for those languages. Greek radio is awful; Arabic likewise.

Oh, and periodically I take an image onto a portable SSD of the LMS server - not often as it doesn't change that much as most new music is via online streaming services.

Mind you, backing up the vinyl is more tricky. Some of those LPs would be difficult to replace.

Yes, I know this is not a normal setup, but just periodically putting a decent sized USB stick into the server and backing up to that is enough for most folk. It doesn't have to be rocket science.

Last edited:
Probably just as well then that I have mirrored Synology SANs in two buildings 100mtrs apart - my office/workshop and the comms rack in the main house, both protected by online UPS plus several TB of Google Cloud storage as tertiary backup (our uplink is slow as we don't have fibre here yet). There's a UniFi 1.7Gbps Building-to-Building bridge between the house and office, so that's fast enough (the whole network here, including all the APs, is UniFi).

TBH, either or both of the SANs could serve up the music - the LMS server is a bit redundant in that aspect, except it talks to the client nodes (mostly RPi 3Bs running Max2Play with IQaudIO hats, but that will change in the next few months). The server does have Spotify &YouTube etc connectors and does also serve up internet radio, so that's useful - my wife is a polyglot (7 languages, including modern Greek and Arabic) and uses many foreign stations to "keep her ear in" for those languages. Greek radio is awful; Arabic likewise.

Oh, and periodically I take an image onto a portable SSD of the LMS server - not often as it doesn't change that much as most new music is via online streaming services.

Mind you, backing up the vinyl is more tricky. Some of those LPs would be difficult to replace.

Yes, I know this is not a normal setup, but just periodically putting a decent sized USB stick into the server and backing up to that is enough for most folk. It doesn't have to be rocket science.

Wow!!!! You like technology!!!😀

I guess you don't get much time for relaxing and listening to music whilst managing that lot!

Probably has a working flux capacitor and he's slow in responding here because he's in another decade right now.

😆 if thats the case, he's probably in 2010 buying up landrovers so he can make 10 times as much in profit!

Wow!!!! You like technology!!!😀
Technology is and always has been my job - I used to run the technology functions (CTO) for large financial institutions. Networking is just a small part of that.

I now own and run a cloud-based digital publishing business, so I have a semi-professional setup at home.

I guess you don't get much time for relaxing and listening to music whilst managing that lot!

It's easy as once set up, mostly it "just works". Relaxing is tricky: too many ideas; too many projects; too little time.

Last edited:
😆 if thats the case, he's probably in 2010 buying up landrovers so he can make 10 times as much in profit!

I briefly confused range rover with land rovers but I think I'm less confused now about which go up in value!

I briefly confused range rover with land rovers but I think I'm less confused now about which go up in value!

They've all gone up a lot since the pandemic, although landrover prices rocketed after they announced they weren't making them any more ( or at least not in that shape )
If it aint broke, don't fix it 🤷‍♂️

They've all gone up a lot since the pandemic, although landrover prices rocketed after they announced they weren't making them any more ( or at least not in that shape )
If it aint broke, don't fix it 🤷‍♂️

that's the trouble with the range rovers over here - they're usually broken, but they're like the better of audi's offerings -when they're new, they've got great style.

Audis here in the states usually obsolete themselves around 100k miles due to parts prices and the frequency of nonsense repairs (hoses on breathers that are eroded by crankcase oil mist, plug wires that crack within 4 years of new, etc). I have *heard* that VW/Audi's euro-made products are better and hold up better, but at least on the VW side, what we usually get isn't that. (my first car out of college was a VW - $7k of unscheduled work already by 4 years old and 45k miles - I dumped it at that point - and then got married to someone who had recently bought a new VW :poop:)

I only personally know one person with a range rover, though - they're here in some number, but not like the other luxury cars, and even the big luxe cars are getting thin in favor of things like Tesla P100Ds.

Snip...
I now own and run a cloud-based digital publishing business, so I have a semi-professional setup at home.

Semi professional setup!!!!!
Wow, I know many SME's would kill for that setup.

Wonder what you would do to make fully professional 🤔
For business or otherwise that is seriously an impressive setup👍👍👍👍

Semi professional setup!!!!!
Wow, I know many SME's would kill for that setup.

Wonder what you would do to make fully professional 🤔

It's really not that special - if I went "fully professional" it'd probably be Cisco-centric, but for me sticking to UniFi all round makes for easily manageable infrastructure, especially as multiple buildings are involved. The UniFi bridge is pretty new to their portfolio - I like using wireless bridges as opposed to buried or catenary cabling as it avoids issues with ground potential differences - this is highly relevant here as we're in the countryside on top of a big hill, so we get a reasonable amount of lightning etc. If the buildings were connected by data cables, that could be highly problematic as electronic barriers are simply not fast enough to protect against local strikes. We have a 3-phase supply and each building is on a separate phase - this also helps galvanic isolation.

Regarding the SANs - the nice thing about Synology kit is that it's much the same software from the smallest to the largest system they provide. My two SANs are only 6TB each, so small devices in the SAN world - the SANs mirror so all data is in at least two distinct buildings.

Back