What do you collect

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
Lets exclude woodwork items as I suspect we all collect those a bit.
I have 2 things
1/ started to collect vintage pedal cars, had to stop at 3, as pandemic just drove prices through the roof. Still look but need prices to drop a bit.
2/ Viz comics, easy to get hold of the majority, still find them very funny, I have about 290 of the 310 issues. Some of the early issues are rare and pricey so whether I'll get the lot is dubious as I can't see me doing a grand on a comic, so far it's cost me £270 total.

How about you?

I used to collect coins years ago, then photographic equipment, but now I collect all sorts of stuff that i think will be useful. I have difficulty throwing some things out. I'm like a squirrel. I put things away because I might find a use for it and I usually do. Sometimes after 40 years!!!

In short, waaaay too much stuff....
A large amount of it is woodworking related tools etc but I collect across the board. Unusual and rare things pique my interest and displaying them to the masses is another part of the pleasure.

Was trying to find you a picture and then realised just how many contained at least one woodworking related tool.

However, from a meeting I attended the other night here's a little (non woodworking ) quiz I set up....
To save sidetracking this thread I've posted here...
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/guess-the-gubbins-tool-identification-quiz.133960/Cheers Andy
IMG_20211110_172043.jpg

Last edited:
books - thousands of them, lots of modern and children's first editions…
quite like collecting anything really - seem to have a lot if whisky ;)

I collect shot glasses - all in storage right now but I must have well over 150. When I buy a bigger house I will build some sort of display cabinet for all of them.

Troika ceramics (about 150 pieces), Clarice Cliff ceramics (about 70 pieces), Moorcroft ceramics (about 40 pieces), Whitefriars Geoffrey Baxter glass (about 40 pieces), and Newlyn copper (about a dozen pieces). About half of the ceramics and glass are in display cases, but the rest are in use around the house, such as lamps and vases.

My wife is an avid reader and collects books. Lots of books. I might have to box up some of the ceramics to make room for more books, as they are in every room and their numbers grow every week.

I used to collect bits of bicycles :)

One company in particular, an English firm called Hope Technology,one of the market leaders in high end bike bits like disc brakes, hubs etc, and I've been collecting their stuff for about 22 years.

However, from a meeting I attended the other night here's a little (non woodworking ) quiz I set up....
I'd say 'J' is a sailmakers palm.

Last edited:
Under strict orders from the boss I'm not allowed to collect anything anymore.
Most of my collections have been sold off as she hates clutter, its an age thing.
I can see her point, if stuff has been in a box, in a cupboard and not looked at for 10 years why keep it !
At least the workshop stuff is safe !

Lets exclude woodwork items as I suspect we all collect those a bit.
I have 2 things
1/ started to collect vintage pedal cars, had to stop at 3, as pandemic just drove prices through the roof. Still look but need prices to drop a bit.
2/ Viz comics, easy to get hold of the majority, still find them very funny, I have about 290 of the 310 issues. Some of the early issues are rare and pricey so whether I'll get the lot is dubious as I can't see me doing a grand on a comic, so far it's cost me £270 total.

How about you?
I'm into collectables (not antiques, although I have a few) my latest focus in on old glass and clay bottles pre 1900. Gathered 20 in the past 18 months.

Valves. Specifically mainly cold cathode discharge tubes like nixies plus audio and subminiature types for designing, building and repairing amplifiers, radios and digital neon clocks.

About 12,000 and counting...

Other stuff too... Several 1000 books, engraved mother of pearl, hop tokens from our area,.... Radios from the 1930s made by my wife's great grandfather...

Bit mad really.
IMG_20181223_202621-1209x1612.jpg

Last edited:
Warning to you all. There comes a stage in life when you know that there are tools, materials, fittings, bicycles, garden machinery or whatever sitting around your workshop or house that you don't have enough years left to use, but the wrench of thinning them out is REALLY painful. I'm there...................

I guess guitars, but not intentionally. Somewhere around 25 guitars and 8 amplifiers.

I have an ungodly number of hand tools, but do usually dump the ones that will not either be used or copied in the future.

Slowly thinning things, but making replenishes.

Latest posts

Back