What do people thinkof the Dewalt DW615 router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charley
I've had one for a month-it is really nice, easily the best router I've used. Smooth, tight plunge, a real pleasure to handle
And welcome to the Forum!
Cheers
Philly :D

At the end of the day, the DW615 is a pretty basic router, but it's a dewally, and the workhorse of the site; they're well built, have a good pedigree, and will last forever.

Can't speak for the DW but I have the Elu 96 on which it is based and this is a lovely router - at least it was until I dropped it and despite being repaired, it hasn't been the same since.. :cry:

The machine is light, plunges beautifully and is powerful enough for most things. My Elu came with a real fence system that was just like the one that comes with the ELU177 or DW 625

Only thing that lets it down is the lack of a proper fine adjust system and I would look hard at this aspect before getting one IIWY.

mostly positive ? why's david savage putting wd40 on a router, though? the dewalt people told me it didnt need lubricating???

what do people reckon is the best alternative if i dont go for that one?

charlie2":3b4fcnvz said:
why's david savage putting wd40 on a router, though?
Because he's under the impression it's a suitable lubricant for the job, I suppose. :-k Having read the link Dave posted, I get the impression it's less the shortcomings of the router that are the problem, and more DeWalt's failure to recognise David Savage is a "celebrity" and thus the need to rush about immediately in order to sort it out... :wink:

Cheekily, Alf

I've got a couple of Elu 96E's, one for hand held, the other for smaller inversion work.
After an extended run of MDF routing a few years ago (no dust extraction available, so clouds everywhere!) like David Savage's, the plunge was really poor and quite limited.
Being out of warranty, I thought i'd take it apart to see what the problem was...
Inside the plunge post apertures and the actual clam shell was absolutely packed solid with really fine dust, as fine as flour. The plunge posts had compacted it up inside so the plunge was less than it should be, and also stiffened it up.
Like the old sand art things at the seaside, the dust was in layers from different jobs over its lifespan, so it happens from the off it seems.
I would say that even the best routers, (and I still rate the 96 as one of them)despite having really tight bushings to keep dust out, will still let the finest, almost microscopic stuff through as there has to be some tolerance for movement, so it can settle inside and build up, especially with no dust extraction, or when inverted.
It's the nature of the beast as far as I am concerned, you can't lay blame at a manufacturers doorstep for an inherent part of woodworking life.
Sloppy bearings, mis alignment etc, yes, but clogging from dust build up is a day to day problem that can't really be laid at their doorstep as far as I am concerned, especially on a tool in a professional workshop used on a daily basis for about six months and used by more than one person...
IMHO of course!

cheers,
Andy

I would buy another DeWalt/Elu router anyday. I have a Elu 96 and recently bought a new Dewalt 625EK. I bought a Performance power 1250 watt router and regretted it as it was rattly, misaligned, and had one of those hold down saftey on/off switches. Only good thing about it was it came with a sh*t load of cutters which I am still using. :wink:

Latest posts

Back