what do i need to search for on Google...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to screw down my aluminium router plate into the table. The new top is likely to be 12mm mdf (as the top layer), the plate is 10mm aluminium.

Is there a proper fixing that will allow me to micro adjust it for flushness with the top and take up the couple of mm. If I us a normal countersunk headed machine screw through the plate into a buried nut, the plate will always sit on the lower layer, and the head will sit proud. Any adjustment will move the head up or down, not the plate. I could use shims under the plate, or washers between plate and nut, but something tells me that there is a fixing that will do what I want. If I knew what to look for!

Hi,

If your top plate is 10mm thick you could use grub screws in taped holes to adjust the height.

Pete

i never thought of tapping the holes (as yet undrilled). I presume that this will just allow a portion of the screw to poke out of the bottom and raise the plate a bit? I also assume that I would still need the nut epoxied into the layer below the plate to keep it all held down?

Hi,

You only need someting hard under the grubscrew to stop it wearing the mdf, the weight of the plate and router should keep it in place.

Pete

Well, somewhere, I have my Lidl tap set, which should do the job for aluminium. Total additional outlay for this is therefore about 75 pence!

Hi,

You can make your own grub screws from threaded rod (or bolts with the head cut off) with a slot cut in the end.

Pete

Cheers Dave- I will have a look at the weekend. I still need to come and see you about aluminium!

I will be annoyed if I cant find them- they were at least £5, and besides using one of the drills when it was closer then the drill set, are unused!

Latest posts

Back