What do I do with this old lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t8hants

Established Member
Reaction score
Twenty years ago I acquired this Victorian era lathe, and it has sat in my shed ever since. According to lathes.co its unique, being a Hodgeson of Cleckheaton, although it is very much like a Britannia of the period. It needs some work on the lead screw, the end thread that keeps it in place has stripped and it has one or two other minor faults. Its a 6" c/h by 36", quite a good size. The set of change wheels are phosphor bronze and huge. However I have little idea how best to motorize it and there is not a lot of room to play with. I tried advertising it once with no interest, which was disappointing as on the IOW lathes usually go at a premium. My head says scrap it, my heart says No, If I could get it going it would be worth more, however I have just started my retirement and money for toys is tight. Anybody out there who would like to correspond privately occasionally with a few hints and tips on how to get it running suggesting sizes of pulleys etc, I would be very grateful. I thought of mounting the motor directly under it, although I am a retired fabricator I am out of my comfort zone with this beast.

Attachments

• SAM_3528a.jpg
    SAM_3528a.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 84
Whatever you do don't scrap it!

How about seeing if there is a local model engineering society who might help?

Or a local men's shed might have someone with knowledge.

Failing that a there must be retired engineering knowledge in Southampton/ Portsmouth area.

Finally try the universities engineering dept.

Cheers James

No definitely don’t scrap it, re– a motor, when I bought my woodwork lathe you were expected to fit your own motor, yes it was a long time ago! So acquired an electric motor from a washing machine, two bits of threaded bar bent into hoops to hold it down to a cradle which now I think about it came with the lathe and was adjustable to take up the slack from the belts, nothing a man of your calibre can’t manage.
I feel sure that if you buff it up nicely and get it working you could make some money on it, At the very least I’m thinking architectural curio for stupid people with more money than sense. Ian

Too good to scrap. The stand doesnt look original & it may have been a treadle lathe when built. The Mig welding forum has an excellent lathes & machining section & some really knowlegable blokes on there.
If you do decide to get rid in favour of something more modern, the above forum or www.homeworkshop.org is the place to shift it.

Thank you for the suggestions so far, I should have said I made the stand just after the lathe came home. I even managed to lift the thing onto the stand on my own, couldn't do that now. My local model engineering society again showed no interest when I spoke to them about it. With a lathe of that age and the type of bearings it runs on, what would be a range of spindle speeds to aim for once I dig out the motor that came with it? The headstock has been fitted with a twin V belt pulley at some time in the past.

Back