What do I ask when buying a Record 53 online?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonn Scott

Reaction score
Hi, I'm buying on line and wishing to know what "specific details" to look for in photos (apart from obvious bends, cracks and chips) and "Important questions" to ask when buying ( a record 53 wood vice) via an online auction coming up? Tricky when theres no hands on scrutinizing and can't smell a near by rat.
thanks.
btw. I bought a plane recently with surface rust showing in photos but never thought to ask. "Has been snapped in 2 and brazed back together.?" :(

for example what should the spring look like if OK. Here it is out during sellers restore before listing it.

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 543
I may be mistaken but if that's the same front casting the corner looks snapped off :shock:

But you asked for other information so.....

Here is a good way to test a vice,
Take 6 inches of 4X2 and with the vice upside down put it in the jaws and tighten it up as much as you dare :shock:
If the screw is worn it will "CAM OUT" (loose grip) and jump open a bit

Repeat test on all 3 sizes 8)

2nd test is jaw pinch, vertical and horizontal.....
Vertical-- place wood upright in jaws, tighten and check that ONLY the top edge is gripping the timber.
Horizontal-- Repeat as above with timber to one side of jaws and check the other side has not closed excessively

3rd'ly look very carefully for cracks .......

I would never buy a vice blind without it at least being guaranteed to meet the above tests. Unless very very cheap.

Cheers Andy

btw. I bought a plane recently with surface rust showing in photos but never thought to ask. "Has been snapped in 2 and brazed back together.?" :(

Happens to the best of us, chances are they found it in recently departed Dad's shed and wouldn't know it was brazed. If the damage/repair isn't visible until cleaning like mine was recently you can't complain or return imvho. Easy for me to say mine was a tenner, not sure what I would have done if it was expensive.

Back on topic
Have you considered other makes ? mine is a Woden

Be patient and wait until you find one in your local area for collection only. Vices also crop up on Gumtree and at proper general sales at your local auction house.

Jonn Scott":1qdene1t said:
... "Important questions" to ask when buying ( a record 53 wood vice) via an online auction coming up? ...
How about: "Is it in good working condition?" and "Any cracks, breaks or repairs?". It won't save you, but it will give you some come back if the answers aren't true.

Cheers, Vann.

As simple as they are I think Vann has pretty much nailed it in terms of the questions to ask, if you're buying online.

Do you have to buy online? More to pick from, and likely much cheaper, if you can buy in person via the usual suggestions: car boots, junk shops or Gumtree. I keep track of Gumtree listings multiple times a week and vices aren't thin on the ground, and while prices aren't often like car boots are famed for they tend to be pretty cheap.

Unless you're set on Record for some reason well worth expanding your parameters to include other makes as Mr_Pea suggests, including the aforementioned Woden, Parkinson's, Paramo and Parry & Bott. Maybe Whitmore too.

Thank you everyone for you advice and help. Where I live limits looking in person and there seems to be hoarders / collectors as most are advertised as Antique lol :( . I asked around demo yards and response was haven't seem any for many years. This last picture added is after he cleaned it and I have altered it to a "Negative" to enhance any defects. Shows this vice has had a hard life and whether it has a crack or not about the middle, it is a point of failure. It sold for ~ £100. so I will be patient. Thanks guys

Attachments

• after clean up.jpg
    after clean up.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 358
If it helps there's currently an old Parkinson's Perfect in reasonable vintage condition (read: functional but dirty and in need of a good clean) listed on Gumtree in easy driving distance. Not sure of the size from the photos but it's not small and it's only £25.

Back