What do folk think about this table ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
https://www.heals.com/cross-fixed-dining-tables.html

1062612_2_2.jpg

How practical is it? It looks like people sitting at the table to eat might be constantly kicking the legs.

billw":2xcim482 said:
Simple clean design. But 1700-2400 quid......jeez.

Interesting, you have obviously worked out your price, I'd be interested to see how many hours work have you allowed, what materials you allowed for and what you would charge.

I think it's desperately trying to look different, at the expense of sound construction. The splayed legs are presumably strong enough to support four people sitting round it eating, maybe with their elbows leaning on it, but what about when someone stands on it to put the Christmas decorations up? I'd expect an expensive fracture.

AndyT":3a5m4xc6 said:
I'd expect an expensive fracture.

If it was made buy ikea yes but I suspect the design and costs cover it being made properly. Then others think it's expensive.

Whatever the price, there's not much wood at that angled joint.
I wouldn't trust it to take my weight, but lots of people don't think about construction principles, and some of them are heavier than me.

AndyT":3jq7ln7f said:
Whatever the price, there's not much wood at that angled joint.
I wouldn't trust it to take my weight, but lots of people don't think about construction principles, and some of them are heavier than me.

Surely they is an element of stupidity involved if a for example a big fella decides to stand / dance on a table. Not all furniture is designed to be stood on, nor should it be
If I paid £1800 for a table I'd be mightily f**ked off if you or anyone else stood on it. So sorry Andy, can you ignore that dinner party invite when it arrives .............. :D

doctor Bob":2huslq3h said:
billw":2huslq3h said:

Interesting, you have obviously worked out your price, I'd be interested to see how many hours work have you allowed, what materials you allowed for and what you would charge.

Would I pay that much for a table made by a craftsman in the UK who I was dealing directly with? Most probably.

Would I pay that much for that table given it's got VAT and Heal's retail mark-up, plus paying for the privilege of a brand I've never heard of and a designer I've never heard of? Most probably not.

Is there really an additional 700 quid of timber in a walnut version versus the oak one? Especially since the top is veneered.

It's really interesting and it's almost a thing of beauty but it's not quite there... the angle, height and positioning of the legs really irks me. What a shame.

And practically speaking the joints don't look very convincing...

It's expensive for what it is - a machine made table, but there you go.

billw":1mruam5p said:
doctor Bob":1mruam5p said:
billw":1mruam5p said:

Would I pay that much for a table made by a craftsman in the UK who I was dealing directly with? Most probably.

Would I pay that much for that table given it's got VAT and Heal's retail mark-up, plus paying for the privilege of a brand I've never heard of and a designer I've never heard of? Most probably not.

Is there really an additional 700 quid of timber in a walnut version versus the oak one? Especially since the top is veneered.

So a maker charging vat is wrong or bad or ripping people off, I don't get that point.
Maybe he is selling the oak one cheap :lol:

I quite like it but not to the extent of paying that price for it. Good luck to the designer and maker ... I hope they are getting their fair share of the eventual asking price. Undoubtedly there will be people who feel it is worth the price. Heals always seemed to be busy in the olden days when we could go out!

doctor Bob":mifmaay8 said:
El Barto":mifmaay8 said:

How are they done?

Don't know, but surely you can agree they look like weak spots, especially given the slack angle of the legs and relative lack of meat around the joint.

El Barto":duqy7bcs said:
doctor Bob":duqy7bcs said:
El Barto":duqy7bcs said:

How are they done?

Don't know, but surely you can agree they look like weak spots, especially given the slack angle of the legs and relative lack of meat around the joint.

But weak in relation to what, like I said earlier, tables should not be deisned with the aim a family can dance on them. They should be designed for purpose, to support a meal and a few elbows and some more and that's it.
A company isn't going to sell something where they need to keep repairing or replacing, so they aren't breaking willy nilly I assume.
I once had someone complain a cabinet door had fallen off, when asked what had happened theyu told me they were standing on it changing a light bulb :shock:

Well I've seen lots of tables I like less than this one. I suspect you could laminate those legs such that they were quite strong. I was much more frightened for Steve Maskery's proposed table leg structure than I am for this one. I also know that if I made such a table for sale that I'd want at least what they are asking for it, albeit I don't do veneering so mine would be solid construction. In fact, thinking about it, if they're veneered then the bend in the legs is simply a case of cutting it out of a sheet of ply, isn't it, so the kink in the legs is likely to be plenty strong enough. Is the design wonderful?......well, not for me, but neither is it dreadful.

MikeG.":2f0pd5m8 said:
Well I've seen lots of tables I like less than this one. I suspect you could laminate those legs such that they were quite strong. I was much more frightened for Steve Maskery's proposed table leg structure than I am for this one. I also know that if I made such a table for sale that I'd want at least what they are asking for it, albeit I don't do veneering so mine would be solid construction. In fact, thinking about it, if they're veneered then the bend in the legs is simply a case of cutting it out of a sheet of ply, isn't it, so the kink in the legs is likely to be plenty strong enough. Is the design wonderful?......well, not for me, but neither is it dreadful.

It's only the top that is veneered.

Back