What did you do this long weekend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I having just finished a project I thought I ought to renew my shooting board after 30 years use.

I was lucky enough to come by some very good quality laboratry doors (lipped with rosewood) and thought I could build my self a new board as per pictures attached.

door1.jpg

board2.jpg

Well I spent the weekend in Hay-on-Wye at the Grauniad Literary Festival. Fantastic, though I feel a bit maxed out on words now.

The best talks for me were Michael Wood talking about the destruction and homogenisation of the world's cultural heritage, and Jon Snow talking about his life, politics and 3rd world debt. Both absolutely excellent.

In fact it was all so good that I forgot that yesterday was my wife's wedding anniversary...

Cheers
Steve
Can I come back inside yet, dear?

Steve said:
In fact it was all so good that I forgot that yesterday was my wife's wedding anniversary...

As long as it wasn't your wedding aniversary you forgot you should be in the clear :whistle:

As to the weekend, it's not a bank holiday till next weekend here, but I still managed to get a babies rattle and 6 bowls turned - I think I'll have to get rid of that lathe, nothing else is getting done, and all my timber supply is slowly becoming round!

Les

Great weather this weekend. Somehow very busy.

Moved parent from Cheshire to Berkshire...now she can have a go at me all the time...and add to my tuit lists.

Finished the structure for my new pergola. 38 feet long by 12ft....150x150mm posts each 4m long..they weigh in at about 120kg each so lifting two posts with 10ft cross piece was a nightmare. But I guess thats what strong sons are for.

It was interesting creating this from a modified NYW plan. The plan was great. Making M&T joints with 80x80mm tenons and mortices was a trying experience. I wonder if I was too accurate and what will happen when it all gets wet. Making intenionally sloppy M&Ts is definitely counter intuitive.

Oh yes and a v large G&T to finish with

Hi Guys,

Spent the weekend sanding and varnishing a 1930's parquet floor, My knees ache today.

All the best
Neil

Ohhhh mannnnnnn..... whaddamistaketmake...

I hope the rain's holdin off..

<well versed with the dawghaus blues...

I've been tackling the bookmatched sycamore I've had in the shop for about a year now, putting my new #5 1/2 through its paces..

WiZeR":3cjf59el said:
what's a shooting board? :oops:
Essentially it's a jig for getting an accurate planed end or edge of a board. How to here. Sticking "shooting board" in the search should get you a wealth of info, some of which may even be relevant... :wink:

devonwoody":3cjf59el said:
Ask Alf I don't think he could live without one
In addition to the sex change op, I made some trifling progress in jointing and gluing up some boards for the tops of the side tables I'm currently, intermittently, making. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Fitted a sports Exhaust and an Induxtion kit to my sons Corsa, and to finish it off had to lower the car by 30mm by fitting new Eibach springs, so most of my time was spent on my back, at least the weather was good,

and the rest of the time was spent with my little daughter on her new 12ft trampoline

And ofcourse visiting the in-laws

Mcluma,
Thank god I'am back at work

Usual household chores, mostly :( . However, I did find time to finish cutting my most ambitious project to date - here's the obligatory WIP photo:

BeatlesWIPSmaller.jpg

I just need that tablesaw to arrive now and I'll be able to make a frame for it :roll: .

Oh, and I designed a pattern to cut for a friends birthday who's a big fan of the musical 'Grease'.

Gill

We were brave/foolish, and decided that we'd take our 3 sons (2 hulking early teen brutes and a very clever and very obstinate 9 year old (aka someone who can ruin anything if he decides to go 'unhelpful') :roll: ) out for some culture/family bonding. Yeah, yeah, I know - potential for total disaster and family row.

Well it was great - we went to Warwick castle, and the enthusiasm and knowledge of all the people who were dressed up as assorted medieval types made the boys enthusiastic and interested. First stand was a guy with a yew long bow - hadn't appreciated quite how thick they were, as well as long, until I saw this thing in the flesh. He did an excellent half hour demo/shoot with it. Reckoned that at things like Crecy, the French were facing 5000 archers, each capable of 10 aimed shots a minute, with arrows leaving the bow at 120 mph, and capable of piercing armour at under 100 yards range.. So 50,000 of them inbound per minute!!!

Great falconry stand, with a bald eagle and a fish eagle from the Western Isles, some 'knights' fighting and jousting, etc etc, and tableaux in the buildings (with a pole lathe in the carpenters shop... :wink: )

Despite my initial scepticism, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Shady":3h5bdsvx said:
we went to Warwick castle,.

Hmm, last post went AWOL, anyway, we thought we'd nip in last year, but at £17 per adult, we decided it was a little steep.

Adam.

I know what you mean Adam, but compared to places like legoland, I reckon it worked out reasonable: came to £50 for 5 of us. For that we got 5 really good half hour 'stands' on different aspects of the history (could have got more, but we were maxed out and the crowds built up), which brings us out at £2 per head for each half hour demo, and doesn't include the buildings, fittings etc.

I've become accustomed to the fact that the UK is just darned expensive for family raising nowadays: simply getting to London by train for us, with a return ticket from Didcot, starts any activity in London at about £50 or more.. :roll: So, while I reckon the outlay was a lot, the actual value compares favourably to lots of other places out there, and it wasn't some trashy pop-culture garbage being crammed down our throats... Anyone else here found cheap but good ways of amusing the family in our wonderful island??

Hi All
Finally finished my "Krenov" cabinet, started on a new coffee table, played a gig at a local pub with my band, let the Missus go shopping on her own (so She could enjoy not having me moaning the whole time :lol: ) and spent plenty of time playing with my daughter-not a bad weekend! :D
Cheers
Philly :D

Filled out an 8-page form for job evaluation (Hays) forced upon us by the government through the Higher Education Funding Council for England - a bit like the 'agenda for change' that the NHS has just gone through.

Took up most of the day :cry:

I really know how to enjoy a bank holiday :roll:

Last week the wife took the kids ranging from 19 to 6 and some of their friends to Fishers Farm Park in West Sussex (gues your never to old to have some fun)

price was not to bad considering that all the attactions within the park are included in the entrance fee.

The kids had a good day out their

McLuma

Lovely, sunny Herefordshire weekend. Spent mainly relaxing in the garden, supping red wine with pals, watching LOML trimming the edges of the borders and setting out summer bedding plants - marvellous! :D

So much to do, so little time, no time for woodworking........ :oops: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, in total idleness,

Trev.

Back