What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First post to this thread, be nice!

I am very much at the start of my woodworking so here is a picture of my first ever glue up. Sorry about the photo too...
ac254ab77c96c5387e803e326ade6f4f.jpg

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Mark

Just one observation between the two carvings, Follensbee has the grain running horizontally, the grain on yours is vertical, admittedly on a curved piece of work you will be carving in both direction to the grain, but I just thought the smoother cut looks better on the top of the curve, please do not take this as a criticism just an observation, I have never attempted anything near that and admire your cabinet greatly.

(could not bring myself to say "admire your chest") #-o

Lol :D

Also, my oak is dung compared to Follansbee's - he rives his straight from the log, leaves it to dry for 2-4 weeks so that he gets the crisp surface but the cutting ease of greenwood, whereas mine is flat-sawn kiln-dried stuff. I'm not surprised I get the chip-outs and awful appearance I do. What I'm more worried about is getting a consistent depth and width to my v-tool cuts; even if I have to cheat by taking multiple passes. I'll get there, I'm just not there yet :)

And it's really not that hard - this isn't like Mary May's kind of carving, this is strictly geometrical shapes and curves marked out by gouges. More a collection of tips and tricks rather than real carving, at least to my mind. The closest to "real" carving in here is the V-tool work, which is the bit I still suck at.

Well done Mark, very nice =D> I wish I was brace enough to try carving like that

Found a very nice old oak post. I've used my Ads to clean it up, to make a new lintel for over the workshop doorway. Just waiting for a fine spell to fix it. The wood burning stove is coming into its own these days.

Not today but Saturday. Finished cladding the frame of an alcove wardrobe with MDF and caulked all the joints, just got to paint it now and finish the doors.

On a side note, did you know that B&Q sell Medite? I've never used it before so got a sheet on Saturday morning and I'm very impressed with how much better it cuts and machines, no fluffy edges! A 2440x1220x18mm sheet was about £20.

Jamster21":3cf9b67a said:
First post to this thread, be nice!

I am very much at the start of my woodworking so here is a picture of my first ever glue up.

That looks like a very clean job Jamster. The only thing I'd mention is where the sap wood butts up against the heart wood the colour contrast looks a little bit stark.

Edge jointing two boards is the fundamental woodworking joint, it's something that needs to be done on almost every woodworking project but it gets relatively little attention, either on this forum or on the internet generally. That's a pity as it's not as straightforward as it looks and I guess more projects are spoiled by gappy, misaligned edge jointing than anything else.

Happily you seem to have pulled this off with aplomb, so well done!

=D>

Thanks Custard - an ill-advised cut early in the process I think alligned those two lengths badly but its a lesson in a) planning and b) not changing my mind about what I'm using the timber for half-way though!

I'm absolutely trying to learn the basics with handtools - edge jointing, simple joints, planing to a line, etc and spending power tool money on more wood to experiment on!

will1983":3rgljj7x said:
did you know that B&Q sell Medite? I've never used it before so got a sheet on Saturday morning and I'm very impressed with how much better it cuts and machines, no fluffy edges! A 2440x1220x18mm sheet was about £20.
Thanks.

Gentlemen, This thread is about to be locked.

So many interesting Projects and submissions are just disappearing into an unsearchable morass when if they posted in a separate thread they would be available to searches and continuing comment.

TheseThreads for instance that have just been retrieved would have disappeared after a couple of days in pages of general comments or ended up in disjointed WIP with little or no links to previous work.

topic110601.html

topic110602.html

Aw, nuts :(
This was kindof my "force myself to get back to the shed even if just to tidy up" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back