What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold my bicycle! It's been hanging on the garage wall for years just gathering sawdust. Needed the space for more tools!

Slowly working my way plane-by-plane through the plane till and meanwhile scribbling ideas for the next build. But in the meantime, for fun...

IMG_1102a.jpg

The old ones are the best ones :D

Just a simple box, carving with the X-Carve

IMG_2385.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2385.JPG
    IMG_2385.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 209
On sunday I made a shooting board... Never made one before and kinda didnt really see why I'd want one. Have to say its one of the "best" tools/jigs I've made, I have properly square/true stock now :D

That's interesting. I made one on Sunday too but haven't been able to get on with it. Can you post a pic or two of yours and explain a bit more how you are getting your good results please?

Here's mine if it helps. I also inserted a strip of perspex to keep the plane sole about 2mm off the running face.

new shooting board 001.JPG

John

Attachments

• new shooting board 001.JPG
    new shooting board 001.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 114
Roughed out the body for a lapsteel project... made from the floor of an old cattle lorry. Stained and stinks of cows, but it's a nice wood to work with.

100_8176.jpg

While I was waiting for glue to dry, I scrolled this:

100_8179.jpg

NazNomad":3igi0s30 said:
Roughed out the body for a lapsteel project... made from the floor of an old cattle lorry. Stained and stinks of cows, but it's a nice wood to work with.

What's a 'lapsteel' Naz? Feel like I ought to know. Dave.

[youtube]J6qrdNi1r1k[/youtube]

Basically, it's a type of guitar that you play with it laying flat on your lap (or on a stand). It has a massively hight string action so you play it with a slide.

Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) plays one on 'Breathe', but I suspect a lot of listeners may not be aware of that.

NazNomad":z4luymqj said:
[youtube]J6qrdNi1r1k[/youtube]

Basically, it's a type of guitar that you play with it laying flat on your lap (or on a stand). It has a massively hight string action so you play it with a slide.

That is different to what I thought it would be Naz, thanks for that.

John15":fdwr0lvz said:
Here's mine if it helps. I also inserted a strip of perspex to keep the plane sole about 2mm off the running face.

John
Looks very much like a left handed version of mine. Can't seem to get on with it though. User error no doubt (homer)

Unfortunately, I can't play worth a damn, I just love ''experimental luthiery''. :-D

Made a paddle/knee switch for my startrite 275
Now to get this guard done, and move on to the next project.
Nice playin :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170421_101613.jpg
    IMG_20170421_101613.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_20170419_211323.jpg
    IMG_20170419_211323.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 373
memzey":1njw8xkl said:
John15":1njw8xkl said:

John
Looks very much like a left handed version of mine. Can't seem to get on with it though. User error no doubt (homer)

bpxT2zi.jpg

Here is mine.
19mm MDF with 6mm Ply ontop and some sort of hardwood stop. Applied some of my favourite car wax to the running face
Seems to work better with my block plane than my No4 though.
Not a perfect build but it does net true faces etc

IMG_0406a.jpg

The second one I've built. I need to tweak the fence though, it's gotten out of square a little.

Mark
An easy way to get the fence spot on is to make it in two halves, front and back. The back part is fixed as square as you can get it and then the front half screwed to that, with paper shims if you need them.
And if you screw the front to the back from the rear face of the back, and make slots rather than holes for the screws, you can move the front face up a tad when the end starts to get a bit worn.

woodenstuart":2oefk7pe said:
memzey":2oefk7pe said:
John15":2oefk7pe said:

John

bpxT2zi.jpg

Here is mine.
19mm MDF with 6mm Ply ontop and some sort of hardwood stop. Applied some of my favourite car wax to the running face
Seems to work better with my block plane than my No4 though.
Not a perfect build but it does net true faces etc

Very handy Stuart.
BTW, think the Collinite contains silicone so be careful when finishing etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back