What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A little metal bashing today :D

Fitted a cross vice to my morticer. The cross vice was purchased from a fellow member and bolted down to base.
With the height of the cross vice the distance below the chisel is reduced drastically, so a column extension was made and fitted.
Morticer now turned up to 11 8)

I made a live centre for my lathe from a brass bolt and a bearing/axle from my Kirby vacuum old roller brush :lol:

Been meaning to rearrange my workshop for a while but needed to change the storage for some of my cramps first so I made a couple of racks from bits of plywood I had. Not a WIP but here is a pic of the joinery:

This is what a finished rack looks like:

This is them loaded up:

I'm calling it cramp corner :) Gives me a nice little shelf on each one as well.

I have a camp corner in my workshop as well, oops did I miss read that. :oops:

Mike

IMG_0711a.jpg

Front panel for the cot all shellac'd, glued and drawbored.

IMG_0717a.jpg

And the mattress platform and its front support glued up and shellac'd and held together with wooden nails (there's a gap in there so the platform has some spring to it when you put a load on it).

IMG_0738a.jpg

That's the front, the back, the mattress platform...

IMG_0689a.jpg

...the cross rails and the slats, all done.

Next up is a final dry fit to get the position of the rear support for the platform, cutting the slot and drilling the mounting holes for that, then shellacing the last two parts of the frame, final assembly, making a drawer, and final finishing with osmo.

In the meantime, I ran out of shellac on saturday night and didn't want to wait a week for the next batch (waiting for buttons to dissolve in isopropanol took a week during the summer, at -1C I figure I'd be waiting longer). Leaving it in a warm place would speed this up, but you're warned not to try to dissolve it faster by direct heating because the gas on the hob would leave you holding a pot full of burning alcohol and resin in the kitchen while your wife looked on. However, we have more ways to heat things these days.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present....

IMG_0676a.jpg

Sous-vide shellac! :D

(And it worked, the shellac buttons dissolved almost completely overnight with only around a teaspoon left in the bottom of the jar).

BTW, I'm developing a real dislike for the router. I mean, wearing this much protective gear in an 8x6 shed. It feels daft.

IMG_0657a.jpg

MarkDennehy":1gtrpnhh said:
BTW, I'm developing a real dislike for the router. I mean, wearing this much protective gear in an 8x6 shed. It feels daft.

IMG_0657a.jpg

Keeps ya' safe though :wink:
Carry on :D

Its all true, you will still be here on the Forum in ten years time to tell us how sensible you where.

Mike

Not daft atall
I've been looking into getting a waterproof...(so should be dustproof) breathable boilersuit as
I'm having reactions to the iroko I was planing.
I had a look in the local place and found this ...
no price on it, and it was quite small for the size when I tried it on ..only one in the shop.
Done the squat test, holding an invisible length of wood on the invisible bench .
It looks as it will be very expensive, but I've seen nothing like it
Just got them to order them in, and got a shock when I seen the price online :shock:
Seems expensive and I don't think the cuffs were very comfortable or hard wearing ..
I don't think theirs any alternative though :(
I would be happy to see some other brands of this item if such a thing exists..
I have ordered some coverall suit from the east....Its in the post yet, but this things different

Drytex boiler suit ...

Also having a look into making this DIY breathing supply in conjunction with a face mask shield respirator from China
Have a look at this video ...DIY personal air supply ...
Have to figure what kind of battery is and source a few bits and bobs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrDdqXzEwHQ
Ttrees

Attachments

• Drytex-Boiler-Suit.jpg
    Drytex-Boiler-Suit.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 72
n0legs":9701x32v said:
The BIL uses these:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Reusable-Pa ... QEFSHH0YYP

Might be of use to you.
Thanks that might be what I'm looking for ... :D :D :D
Looks like it might be 1/3rd to 1/4 of the price aswell ...
I did look at those 3M ones, but could only find the throw=away ones
Looks to be better cuffs aswell, mabye a bit short too, but I don't think I'm near as tall as that dude ..
I'm going searching for that exact thing to try and get a better look ...
It does look shiny non stick and breathable too though ...
Thanks again :D

Finally just about finished my router table this weekend. Just needs the MDF faces painting when I can be bothered and fancy doing a hateful boring task! Also need to add a T-track to the front when I can find some at a sensible price. The extraction works very well, theres nothing at all on the table in use, some bigger bits stay in the cabinet but I think its catching all the finer airborne stuff. By far the most complex thing I've attempted so far!

I was sick of falling over mainly steel stock on the floor of the workshop so made a stand, but this is also going to take all my long wood stock too so just qualifies for this thread. The stand consists of 3 sets of uprights 1.25m apart then with a 650mm overhang at each end so ending up at 3.8m overall. The top will be a lightweight bench, probably for the mitre saw. The uprights are just over 110mm apart to take soil/drain pipe for shorter and small diameter stock. The stand is on castors so I can get at stuff in the pipes easily and move it out of the way if I need space.

Upside down, getting ready to weld the supports on. And yes, I forgot to take the plastic pads of the clamps and melted two :oops:

P1060189.jpg

Still upside down, mainly welded and black smoothrite being applied to the underside

P1060193.jpg

Right way up and castors on. Getting dark and the camera flash isn't up to much

P1060198.jpg

Next tinkering window will be in two weeks but I only have to finish painting it, slide in the land drain and bolt some timber to the top.

Attachments

• P1060193.jpg
    P1060193.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 227
  • P1060189.jpg
    P1060189.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 227
  • P1060198.jpg
    P1060198.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 227
I put the heater on for an hour before entering, made myself a brew and sat in my pondering chair. Then nothing, i just sat there doodling ideas on a notepad and drinking tea most of the afternoon. It was heaven.

monkeybiter":16kwzw86 said:
That looks like a top quality job! I like your carpet too.

Its garage floor paint that hasn't stuck well to the rough concrete floor! Rubber tiles are on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back