What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glued some blocks to the back of my table saw sled to cover the blade as it emerges after making a cut.

This will make it a bit safer but I did it mainly because I was annoyed about getting covered in chips flying off the blade, even with the extractor on. These blocks should keep the chips contained until the blades teeth go below the table top where the extractor can suck them away.

Should make a whole new sled really but cannot be bothered at the moment.

That's on my to do list for the weekend. Started using a sled on my saw a couple of weeks ago and it's frightening how easy it is to forget about the blade emerging from the back of it if you're concentrating on the cut.
I'm usually super aware of dangerous stuff but this one has caught me out too often to be ignored.

If you saying you can't use a crown guard with a sledge, the sledge is designed incorrectly.

Mike

IMG_2288a.jpg

Front and back frames for the chest done. Tried using the whole offset shoulders thing for the joints, worked reasonably well even though I was a bit cack-handed at it.
Nice and neat on the show face (it'll get tighter when I drawbore it):

IMG_2284a.jpg

Gappy on the back face:

IMG_2283a.jpg

But so much faster... the joints took me maybe a third of the time they usually take and there was none of the whole hair-pulling frustration that comes with trying to fettle both shoulders at once.

I've not really done much in my workshop for a while as I've been a bit poorly. I'm now starting my fourth month of a really bad cough.

My GP has re-re-confirmed the diagnosis of broken ribs, except that it's two, not one, that are broken, caused by coughing so much and so hard. I've already had two of the three antibiotics that can be used for my chest infection, and I can't use the third because it'll do something nasty to me in conjunction with one of the other meds I'm on. So I'm getting a two week course of Amoxicillin 500mg. Plus 30mg 4 times daily of Dihydrocodeine in addition to the other Dihydrocodeine at a different (but maximum) strength that I use for my back. Apparently Covonia works better as a cough medicine than the prescription stuff they tried me on for a while. If that doesn't work then I guess they'll take me round the back and shoot me.

There's nothing I can do in my workshop while I have such pain in my ribs.

Amoxicillin will sort that out, its basically an overdose of penicillin which I have to take quite often, please ensure you are not too far away from a loo when you take it for at least the next twenty four hours, mind you I do take 1000mg it may not effect you the same way, here's hoping.

Mike

phil.p":2vy0jhdx said:
Even a week of intravenous amoxicillin didn't do that for me. :lol:

I think that's because a gradual drip feed instead of a direct hit to the system can be quite comfortable in comparison (hammer) Amoxicilin is designed to flush out the system of all the bugs, unfortunately that also includes the good ones. i.e. the ones that aid digestion.

Mike

Oh, I've read the book and seen the film. I've had doxycycline, flucloxacillin, amoxacillin, clarithromycin, erithromycin, gentomycin, metronidizole ....... and one or two others I can't remember, some intravenous and oral. I think I have cast iron guts. :lol:

Anyway, we should get back to workshops. :D

Someone gave me amoxicillin (or one of the other penicillin variants, I can't remember which one) once when I was a bit loopy from pain (broken tooth, exposed nerve, no dentists available for about 14 hours, fun). I didn't realise at the time because all I heard was "I'm going to give you an injection for the pain" and at that point my brain just went "thank pineapple" and packed it in for the day. I wound up high as a kite for almost 24 hours, serious full-on I-love-everyone dilated-pupil la-la-land stuff.

Mind you, I was allergic to penicillin, and apparently "altered mental state" is one of the last stages before "cardiac arrest" so I don't recommend it as a way to get high :D

Also, wear the futzing bracelet...

Almost finished the small frame-and-panel chest I'm working on. It still needs a lid but it doesn't look too bad so far. Oak, frame-and-panel, drawbored joints, western red cedar tongue-and-groove floorboards because I bought "cedar" thinking "cedar of lebanon"... doh. And some carving because I finally got around to trying it (thanks to Bugbear, ED65 and Custard for the encouragement when I first asked about a "totally guaranteed, utterly skill-free way to add decorative eye-catching elements to a panel ... that catches the eye and drags it kicking and screaming away from cack-handed, sawdust-stuffed gappy joinery" :D

IMG_2424a.jpg

IMG_2422a.jpg

IMG_2426a.jpg

Any chance of a close-up of that carving?

Just one comment, if you don't mind. Despite the tenons being out of line, I would have lined up the pegs even if it meant having two per joint rather than one, with one a dummy. Minor aside in a lovely piece of furniture.

For the two beads on either side of the top bit of carving, yup, I used my dead fancy lee valley scratch stock.

IMG_2340a.jpg

For the reeds that the bottom carving is carved into, I used an old reeding plane from ebay (thing must be around 160-170 years old going by manufacturer).

IMG_2338a.jpg

End result:

IMG_2341a.jpg

And then the rest was done with a gouge that matched the profile of the reeding plane (not precisely, but closely enough that you had to measure carefully to spot the gap). It's just one of the exercises from the Peter Follansbee videos on 17th Century carving really. I had wanted to carve the panels but my V-tool work isn't up to snuff yet.

IMG_2329a.jpg

I mean, here's my version of the pattern I was thinking of using:

IMG_2162a.jpg

And here's the same pattern (more or less) by Follansbee:

Screen-Shot-2017-12-28-at-20.32.28a.png

I've seen worse than mine on etsy, but not very often!
I'll give it a bit more practice before inflicting it on someone else :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back