What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
monkeybiter":6fuwa4o8 said:
AJGrupp":6fuwa4o8 said:

Sorry for being dim but I have to ask, what are the slots on the drawer joints? Perhaps overlong biscuit or spline slots?

I think they are full length loose tenons.

Mike

So after 2 years and 9 months we finally have 2 useable wardrobes in the bedroom.

It may not compare to some of the things built and shown on here but it has been a big job for me. As having never built anything like this before every task has had to be learnt, practiced and then mocked up before doing the actual job.

Main carcasses are painted 18mm MDF with 2 rails and a centre shelf. Top boxes are the same. All joints are 18mm x 9mm deep housing joints.
The carcasses sit on a 150mm tall plinth, levelled up and secured to the skirting and floor boards.
The doors are solid beech styles and rails, all mortise and tenoned together with painted 6mm MDF fields in 6mm x 12mm deep captive grooves.
Hinges are Blum Clip top Blumotion soft close 110o concealed hinges, 2 to each small door and 4 to the larger ones.

I've still got some little jobs to finish like fitting the kick plate at the bottom and fit the handles but we aren't sure which handles to go for yet.

Needless to say after so long this weekend was a big event in our house! Lots of man points finally earned!

Attachments

• Doors Fitted 1.jpg
    Doors Fitted 1.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 214
  • Doors Fitted 2.jpg
    Doors Fitted 2.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 214
Well done Will! Nice to see a relative newcomer take the not-so-easy option, rather than just painting up some MDF.

Painted up MDF can look just as good IMO. :D

Small doors.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• Small doors.jpg
    Small doors.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 183
Cheers Mike,

I like those doors though, might go for something similar for the other bedroom.
I just hope it doesn't take me another 2 years to get those done! :)

I put the finishing touches to my workbench. Chuffed to bits with it and hope it's more useful than the B&D Workmate I've put up with for so long!

IMG_1750a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1750a.jpg
    IMG_1750a.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 119
Thanks Mark. It still needs a tail vice and dogs but I'd rather let it evolve as and when I need these things. Right now I can't wait to start using it!

Oddly, I have found that holdfasts and a doe's-foot have almost completely met the need for a tail vice for me. But then, my tail vice is in a slightly less accessible position because of the size of the shed, so I might be biased.

This evening for me:

IMG_2231a.jpg

Grooving all the rails for the chest.

IMG_2234a.jpg

And tomorrow, morticing time.

IMG_2242a.jpg

That's interesting Mark. I had to look up 'doe's foot' but that could be a way forward. There's a big mitre saw sitting at the end of the bench which would have to be moved out of the way whenever I needed the tail vice - the saw's on wheels but it would still be a pain. I want the bench to evolve - I've put up with a workmate for so long that this will be a luxury - no need to rush! Thanks for your input Mark.

Paul

memzey":19e9q9gn said:
Looks great Paul! Very similar to my own which I made about a year ago.
Thanks Memzey. It's the first 'proper' bench I've ever had so I'm really looking forward to using it. There's been a few bench posts on here recently which I've followed with interest and I took various tips from those posts and the comments. I think I owe most thanks to phil.p, who unknowingly planted a basic idea in my head of what I wanted. I didn't want a deep apron - to enable clamping on the edge - but realised that some apron was necessary to stiffen everything up - so I went for 100mm. I didn't want a well but remembered phil.p's comment about a split-top a la Roubo - that will be very useful so I've got that. I wondered about a deadman - but extra support can be provided with clamps when necessary so I didn't bother. My vice is flush to the face, which I prefer.

There are no dog holes in the top yet - just a nice, big, flat, oiled and pristine surface - and I can't wait to muck it up :twisted:

Paul

As unbelievable as it sounds i messed up trying to make a simple mallet... not once, not twice but four times... then i gave up and came inside to have a cuppa and catchup on here.

phil.p":ca5qkecq said:

Two blocks of wood being clamped around a handle... so i was doing half laps.

1st... done first half lap, but doing second block i relaxed my grip a little and the block moved and cut the half lap too wide.

2nd... cut new block too short, marked it up then got distracted and then came back to it and cut the knot out if it forgetting it was the piece i wanted.

3rd... cut half laps too deep in another new block

4th... tried to trim the above block down on table saw so the half lap wasn't so much and just made a mess of it all.

I gave up after that then thought of an easier way to do it.... just glue blocks together, face blocks with handle in the middle then cut blocks to fill the gaps... no half laps and hopefully no mess ups.

8squared":1dqjloby said:
phil.p":1dqjloby said:

Two blocks of wood being clamped around a handle... so i was doing half laps.

I've made a few like this...

22.gif

Nice and simple, when the face gets knackered you can trim it off, when the whole thing gets knackered they burn really well.

Takes minutes to make on the scroll saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back