What did Mr Bootfair bring you this weekend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Today ALFIE and me went to the bootfair up the road...

ALFIE was not amused at starting at 5:30am...and is currently snoozing....listening to Bono....

556915_4105232747392_583528718_n.jpg

....but before then he managed to sniff out a few bargains...so I will let you know what he found...

DSC_1732.JPG

So...with the tried and tested round the clock detail...first he found this...

DSC_1733.JPG

Sadly only one cutter but a bit of fun just cleaning up this afternoon...hours of FUN!

DSC_1735.JPG

We will probably have to go to Sainsbury's to find out how it actually goes together...and get some sausages at the same time! :mrgreen:

Next up...Dad's favourite 50p of the day...

DSC_1736.JPG

He wasn't actually asked to sniff out a decent maker...but ALFIE knows what I like....

DSC_1738.JPG

I'm going to be punch drunk at this rate! We might pop down the Dog and Mitre later! :oops:

Someone tell me what this profile is...

DSC_1740.JPG

Atkinson and Son of Birmingham...horseshoe Benefactum mark...1900-1966 so anybody's guess how old....

DSC_1741.JPG

I'll sharpen the iron later and see what happens! 8)

You know me and gorgeous mallets....and boxwood and ash...

DSC_1742.JPG

Just got to be worth 20p of anybody's money...ALFIE thought it was a cool bone too! :mrgreen:

Following the "tarting up the Japanning" talk going on...had to get some of this...

DSC_1743.JPG

A freebie from a mate...along with a huge tube heater for the workshop...too long to get on the table!

And then I got one of these...

DSC_1744.JPG

Mystery bootfair find of the week....

DSC_1745.JPG

I have to get the remains of a wooden gatepost which snapped off in the wind last week, out of the concrete hole...

DSC_1746.JPG

Ideal! A quid!

Another of my vices....are vises...

DSC_1748.JPG

Once this one is cleaned up it's going to be gorgeous!

Oh...and a 043...this one brand new...in a box...

DSC_1751.JPG

Don't even ask how much...ignorance is usually bliss... :wink:

My man with the Gabriels didn't turn up today...probably just as well.

What did you guys get?

Jim

Good grief but these threads are getting even more outrageous! A Stanley 55 and a Record 043 and a Sorby mitre gauge! Where are the broken toys and old video tapes? :lol:

The woodie is a sash ovolo by the way - it looks quite a small one so would be suitable for lightweight work on interior work such as a glazed display case ... should you ever have any treasures needing to be displayed... I suppose the problem would be knowing how big to make it while good stuff continues to arrive at such a rate!

Seriously though, I hope you enjoy them all.

Think my brass mitre template/guide(?) was only 20p! But that was probably 20 years ago.....
Anyway, a question about them - how do you hold it in place while in use?

Alfie said with or without you and youve still not found what im looking for and ya nothing but a hound dog car booting all the time woof :lol:

hat coat i know

Cheers Andy and Kostello....(sometimes words just fit!).....sash ovolo...ok...I see what it does now...since I honed the iron and it worked fine...once you see the shape it all fits!

And Prof....the broken toys and videos were bought by the guys who arrived at 8pm in desperation! :wink:

Tony....ALFIE'S a cross between a lurcher and a cruise missile! :mrgreen:

Cheers Paul...it's cleaning up nicely....but could take days to get all the crud off....

DSC_1771.JPG

Alas one tiny bit of casting is broken (as is often found with these things).....

DSC_1759.JPG

...on the left where the centre skate half runner fixes...which is also missing.

I'll probably have a play and decide what I'm going to do with it. I always wanted one just to tinker and understand what it does...whether I will keep and use it is a totally different matter! Mind you...it is a Sweetheart....!

The vise came up nice though....

DSC_1775.JPG

I've a few uses for that.

Jim

jimi43":2seb9098 said:
Alas one tiny bit of casting is broken (as is often found with these things).....

They are sometimes repairable, Jim (depending, of course, on where the break is and how bad it is). Mine had a mishap to one of the fences at some time and was repaired very successfully - see picture below, near to where the fence joins the fence rod at bottom of picture

Stanley55avatar3.jpg

Not sure how you go about undertaking repairs but it can be done.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Hi, Chaps

I got these just after Christmas but didn't post anything about them.
Half set of skew mouthed rounds by Heilds of Nottingham so at least 130 years old, but they look new.
The two Rebate planes also by Heilds.
DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0021-2.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

I am the third owner by the looks of it.

How much I hear you say, £30 :D you can get some bargains just after Christmas when no one has any money :lol:

Miss Morpeth in the sunshine commenting on my fortune.

DSC_0016.jpg

Pete ( trying desperately to out do Jim, and failing)

Very nice indeed Pete and a silly price! They never strayed far, did they. Does the seller have the hollows as well?

There were some really nice Moselely Late Mutter planes on eBay the other day - entirely mint; no owner's stamps at all. Went for a bit more than £2.72 each but not crazy money.

Thanks for the info and picture Paul....

I can see where the part is brazed but only just. Nice repair!

Unfortunately for me...the bit that broke off this one is long gone...and along with it the centre bottom adjuster...parts 41/42/43 of THE PARTS DIAGRAM

You can see the damage clearer in this "cleaned and in the sun" picture....

DSC_1786.JPG

It should prove easy to fix if I wanted to, braze and extra bit on...retap...find or make the missing part. I think it would be worth doing...my first mission however is to look out for the extra cutters...I think my other source had some a couple of weeks ago...he may still have them.

I think I will have a play with this technical masterpiece. It is without doubt the most eccentric tool I have in my little collection....no...not collection....um...(remember I don't have 127!!)

Those rounds are gorgeous Pete! I love the script maker's marks. You hid that gloat away didn't you mate! I am keeping my eye out for the remaining Gabriels...I think I may have a bit of a challenge there...we shall see! 8)

Nice to see you got your Hiedls for such a great price! Strangely exactly what I paid for my "mill in a box"! :wink:

Oh...and Alfie said he likes Miss Morpeth but he's had lunch thanks!! :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":3n9zh7fv said:
my first mission however is to look out for the extra cutters

One of the good things about the #55/#45/#405 planes is that almost any combination plane cutters will fit. Not all will engage with the adjuster, but that doesn't necessarily matter.

Paul

Paul Chapman":24yzebcy said:
jimi43":24yzebcy said:

One of the good things about the #55/#45/#405 planes is that almost any combination plane cutters will fit. Not all will engage with the adjuster, but that doesn't necessarily matter.

Paul

Yes...I read that. The 55 ones have the hole in the top to engage in the pin on the adjuster shaft...do you happen to know if the 45 and 405 make them like that as well? From experience of the No. 45 that I had.....

DSC_0023.JPG

...the cutters had slots.

I guess the pin could engage in these if they are of the correct length. Is that what you mean?

Cheers

Jim

Hi, Chaps

The seller had lots of patern making tools Gouges, Chisels Planes but not the matching ser of hollows etc, but the only thing that sold was the rounds.
I did say try again after christmas but I haven't seen them put anything else up.

Jim, Miss morpeth has a big brother

DSCN0130.jpg

Otis, AKA the beast of Sherwood. :wink: :lol:

Pete

jimi43":3hpm78qz said:
Paul Chapman":3hpm78qz said:
jimi43":3hpm78qz said:

Paul

Yes...I read that. The 55 ones have the hole in the top to engage in the pin on the adjuster shaft...do you happen to know if the 45 and 405 make them like that as well? From experience of the No. 45 that I had.....

DSC_0023.JPG

...the cutters had slots.

I guess the pin could engage in these if they are of the correct length. Is that what you mean?

The cutters for the #45, #405 and #55 (and also the Record combination plane with the blue plastic handle, I believe) are all similar and interchangeable. The only ones that can only be used with the #55 are those with asymetric cutting profiles which need one of the skates to be able to be moved up and down.

My point about using other blades was that while blades for most other combination planes are of different dimensions, the cutter-holding bolt on the #45, #405 and #55 is such that they will fit. Here's a blade from a Stanley #50 compared with one from a #45

Record4054.jpg

Athough it is much shorter, it will fit and be held securely in the #45, #405 and #55

Record4056.jpg

You won't be able to use the blade adjuster but the blade can be adjusted with a tap from a hammer or by just sliding it up and down.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Back