Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

What determines a "Sweetheart" handplane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

ZippityNZ

Established Member
Reaction score
Silly question time?

What factor determines when a handplane is a "Sweetheart"?

I have just watched a video on Youtube where a #6 Stanley was being restored. Besides having the "Sweetheart" logo on the plane's iron, there was no other marking on the plane that indicated that it was indeed a "Sweetheart".

I have recently bought two old planes for restoration, both of which have similar irons installed. Does that mean that they are "Sweetheart" planes?

Very confusing...........

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Ideally, I think it means a plane from the period when the heart logo was in use, complete with its original iron, marked.
Less than ideally, it could mean any old plane that's had a sweetheart logo iron put into it, regardless of original date, but potentially worth more on eBay.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I always thought the plane was the same as any other, but the "Sweetheart" irons were what made the difference a bit like the more modern 01 vs A2 argument. The only time I've seen a heart and "SW" on the planes were on block planes.

Vann

Established Member
Reaction score
AndyT":ekyc41je said:
...Less than ideally, it could mean any old plane that's had a sweetheart logo iron put into it...
IIRC "sweetheart" was a period the applies to US (and possibly Canadian) built planes only - for which the 'type' studies are accurate. So the other features on the plane would have to match the type study too, before an owner could legitimately claim it was a "sweetheart" plane. Otherwise it's a whatever with a "sweetheart" iron.

http://rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm

edit: Yes, type 12 through to type 15 (1919 to 1932).

Cheers, Vann.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Vann":uod25jf0 said:
AndyT":uod25jf0 said:
...Less than ideally, it could mean any old plane that's had a sweetheart logo iron put into it...
IIRC "sweetheart" was a period the applies to US (and possibly Canadian) built planes only - for which the 'type' studies are accurate. So the other features on the plane would have to match the type study too, before an owner could legitimately claim it was a "sweetheart" plane. Otherwise it's a whatever with a "sweetheart" iron.

Cheers, Vann.
Quite so.
I suppose I was answering a different question, "when an eBay seller describes a plane as a Sweetheart what should I expect?" and cynically assuming that some sellers might possibly use the term illegitimately, to their advantage. :roll:

Bodgers

Established Member
Reaction score
AndyT":2aaavd2e said:
Vann":2aaavd2e said:
AndyT":2aaavd2e said:

Cheers, Vann.
Quite so.
I suppose I was answering a different question, "when an eBay seller describes a plane as a Sweetheart what should I expect?" and cynically assuming that some sellers might possibly use the term illegitimately, to their advantage. :roll:
Not to mention the new generation Sweetheart planes and chisels... :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk