What determines a "Sweetheart" handplane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippityNZ

Established Member
Reaction score
Silly question time?

What factor determines when a handplane is a "Sweetheart"?

I have just watched a video on Youtube where a #6 Stanley was being restored. Besides having the "Sweetheart" logo on the plane's iron, there was no other marking on the plane that indicated that it was indeed a "Sweetheart".

I have recently bought two old planes for restoration, both of which have similar irons installed. Does that mean that they are "Sweetheart" planes?

Very confusing...........

Ideally, I think it means a plane from the period when the heart logo was in use, complete with its original iron, marked.
Less than ideally, it could mean any old plane that's had a sweetheart logo iron put into it, regardless of original date, but potentially worth more on eBay.

I always thought the plane was the same as any other, but the "Sweetheart" irons were what made the difference a bit like the more modern 01 vs A2 argument. The only time I've seen a heart and "SW" on the planes were on block planes.

AndyT":ekyc41je said:
...Less than ideally, it could mean any old plane that's had a sweetheart logo iron put into it...
IIRC "sweetheart" was a period the applies to US (and possibly Canadian) built planes only - for which the 'type' studies are accurate. So the other features on the plane would have to match the type study too, before an owner could legitimately claim it was a "sweetheart" plane. Otherwise it's a whatever with a "sweetheart" iron.

http://rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm

edit: Yes, type 12 through to type 15 (1919 to 1932).

Cheers, Vann.

Vann":uod25jf0 said:
AndyT":uod25jf0 said:
...Less than ideally, it could mean any old plane that's had a sweetheart logo iron put into it...
IIRC "sweetheart" was a period the applies to US (and possibly Canadian) built planes only - for which the 'type' studies are accurate. So the other features on the plane would have to match the type study too, before an owner could legitimately claim it was a "sweetheart" plane. Otherwise it's a whatever with a "sweetheart" iron.

Cheers, Vann.

Quite so.
I suppose I was answering a different question, "when an eBay seller describes a plane as a Sweetheart what should I expect?" and cynically assuming that some sellers might possibly use the term illegitimately, to their advantage. :roll:

AndyT":2aaavd2e said:
Vann":2aaavd2e said:
AndyT":2aaavd2e said:

Cheers, Vann.

Quite so.
I suppose I was answering a different question, "when an eBay seller describes a plane as a Sweetheart what should I expect?" and cynically assuming that some sellers might possibly use the term illegitimately, to their advantage. :roll:
Not to mention the new generation Sweetheart planes and chisels... :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Back