What chuck to get

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy_s

Established Member
Reaction score
Many months ago my father's lathe packed in. I live a few hundred miles away from them so I couldn't get a look at it to try and repair it. In the end he couldn't get it fixed and bought a new one. He offered me the knackered one but I politely declined as I have precious little space for any more stuff. Despite this when his friend was travelling down from Shetland he got him to take the old one down to me in his van so I could shuffle around it rather than him. So I've been shuffling around it for months and finally got around to dismantling the motor this weekend and managed to fix it.

Seeing its operational I thought I might as well try some woodturning. I've not done any turning since woodwork in primary school 30 odd years ago but do use a metal lathe so have some idea of what I need.

It got dropped off with a morse taper end with 2 points/ dogs and a dead centre - so I have some means of turning between centres. He also left me with what looks like a very small faceplate - its about 3" diameter with a central thread and 4 holes for woodscrews I think.

I think I would benefit from getting hold of a self-centring chuck and some basic lathe tools. The nose of the lathe is threaded with a 1"x8TPI thread. Can anyone recommend a reasonable quality chuck or are they all much the same?

Depending upon the size of the lathe, two options that will give you a fairly wide range of mounting options.
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-w ... e-ax962267

Or the smaller,
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-w ... e-ax962272

There are cheaper options out there but beware the minefield of accessory jaws (compatibly with differing brands) and future proofing if you take to wood turning seriously, some brands may have limited range of options.

You don't specify which tailstock centre (solid or revolving) you have but If you intend doing much spindle work you will need a Revolving Tailstock centre. You may already have a suitable one with your metal lathe.

CHJ, thanks for the reply. Its an old Axminster APTC M900 lathe I would say its got about a 7" throw (haven't measured it but it must be about that) do you think perhaps the smaller of the 2 chucks would be better suited?

Its a fixed centre I have and its been well used. The live centres I've got for the metal lathes are all too big. I think the tailstock must be machined for a number 1 MT - its quite small, will look at getting hold of a live centre - thanks again.

The 100mm chuck would be fine, they are one of the lighter chucks available and I used 100mm chucks on an earlier budget version (Perform) of that lathe for a couple of years.

The smaller 80 mm accessory jaws also fit the 100mm if you ever need them.

Increase throw is available for larger diameter items like platters by swivelling the head.

I have the several of the 5" version of those chucks (no longer available) in regular use.

I'll go with the 100mm chuck then. Do you know if the Axminster lathe tool sets are ok?, I'm going to have to get a set of basic gouges and probably a parting tool I would think.

The axminster chucks are great and definitely my favourite but it might be wise to think ahead. Turning is a very addictive hobby and it's possible you will be looking to upgrade your lathe in the future. With the Axminster it will be a dedicated thread so will only be of use if you upgrade your lathe to the same thread size which is not likely. Therefore I would suggest the Record SC4 which can be upgraded to any thread size including M33. The only other alternative is the Versachuck but it may be too big and heavy for your present lathe.

Mark

Mark Hancock":3gvpajl1 said:
The axminster chucks are great and definitely my favourite but it might be wise to think ahead. Turning is a very addictive hobby and it's possible you will be looking to upgrade your lathe in the future. With the Axminster it will be a dedicated thread so will only be of use if you upgrade your lathe to the same thread size which is not likely. Therefore I would suggest the Record SC4 which can be upgraded to any thread size including M33
+1 for buying RP SC4.

Buying the Axminster SK100 chuck will give you access to lots of compatible jaw accessories, however the Record Power SC4 is a better choice because you can change the insert at a later date e.g. to get M33 x 3.5 - in this way your first chuck won't be obsolete when you upgrade. Yandles or D&M usually have this chuck at a good price.

FWIW I have Axminster SK114 but previously I had the SK100 - the 1" x 8 thread was no use to me after an "upgrade" and with hindsight I don't think there is much to lose going the RP way.

The tool posts Versa chuck is a great bit of kit and can take carriers to suit different manufacturers jaws and again has a changeable back plate - I also have the Axminster super precision chuck, unfortunately no longer made and the versa chuck is on par with this at a fraction of the cost.

Lazurus":3rwrwrn5 said:
The tool posts Versa chuck is a great bit of kit and can take carriers to suit different manufacturers jaws and again has a changeable back plate - I also have the Axminster super precision chuck, unfortunately no longer made and the versa chuck is on par with this at a fraction of the cost.

yep like Lazurus i just got the versa chuck, love it and bought for the same reason as yours,future proof myself if i change lathes, (just buy new backplate for £18), also can carry my existing jaws with the axminster mounts, also there own jaws work out a lot cheaper than axminsters so when i need my next set of jaws i save money again, well made and accurate chuck, surprised more turners are not using them

Back