What can you do with a broken router ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a bit of an embarrassing :oops: moment when i dropped my cheapo power devil router last night :oops: . The base broke into 3 pieces :roll: beyond repair I've tried several methods today :roll: .
My question is what sort of devilishly fiendish purposes could i put this motor to......................

Bean

Can't you fit a new base?
I bought one of those last year from Argos when on offer with a set of bits. No bits in stock & non came in so it was returned for a full refund. At least it gave me time to have a good look at it & realise it was a waste of money for my needs.
You need some material similar to the bases on the Trend then make it to match. If made and fitted accurately you have the opportunity to set each side at a different dimention to the cutter thereby having an offset trenching base. ;)

Bean,

Not sure how big the power devil is, but here's a few suggestions:

(1) If you're into turning, you could built a mount for it to ride on the lathe bed and use it for creating flutes etc in turned peices. Normally a small router is recommended for this sort of thing (such as the Bosch POF500), hence my question about size. There are plans for this sort of thing in most good router or turning books...

...or

(2) :oops: can't think of another :oops: too much beer after the match....

Cheers,
Martin.

From what I remember about the power devil, it's a similar size to the T5 and Trend bushes fit. I think the switch is one that has to be held on so no use in a table without something to hold the switch on.

Its rated at 850W and the switch has been replaced so that I could use it for long periods. I bought it to profile some timber for a greenhouse I was building and as usual it came from a garage sale for the princely sum of £10. It owes me nothing and will be replaced with a 1/2" Router soon as I recover from my daughters flute bending :roll:

I like the idea for fluting on a lathe but sadly I do not own a lathe, any more suggestions or shall I store it away with the washing MC motors and other bits that may come in handy someday :roll:

Bean

Bean

Could you fit it to a router table? Or make a small and high speed drill stand thingy with it? Use it as a sort of Dremel grinder type device? Mount it above a router table a la Rat and use as a sor tof CNC device?
Make a new and improved base for it?

Just a few thoughts

Cheers

Tony

Good idea Tony

I may do that when I get round to making a Router Table. I may see if I can mount it on the wall as a power source for a flexible drive :) Mmmmmm

Bean

Or you could rig up a 'variable' speed desktop fan for those very hot summer days....just don't touch the blades :shock: :D Or again, a variable speed tool for mixing paints/stains etc :wink:

Or machine a base and use it as a laminate trimmer?

Adam

Ehh some of these are friutful indeed :D I should of broken it sooner :wink:

Sadley I no longer have access to a machineshop so machining a base out of real metal is not an option, but then a wooden one might be nice :D

Bean

Latest posts

Back