What can I do with this Cherry tree?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this just firewood or can it be used for anything else?

Attachments

• IMG_5330.JPG
    IMG_5330.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 68
I think there is a woodturners club up near there. A google might turn it up. Offer it to them?

Cherry does split as it dries like a splitty thing.

It's lovely wood to turn with though but I'd recommend you get the pith cut out of it and cut to oversize blanks as soon as you can. Seal the end grain and let it dry.

The last lot I did I guess I lost 40% to splitting.

It's excellent firewood as well by the way.

The way it’s been cut has sadly made many uses moot, good for firewood still at least
Aidan

The way it’s been cut has sadly made many uses moot, good for firewood still at least
Aidan

The tree was dead and had been for at least 4 years so I just assumed that it would be only good for firewood. I left the tree surgeons to it and when I came out they'd already cut it like this.

If it's firewood then that's fine. It'll still provide some value to our house through the next few winters!

Yes, its a pity the "surgeons" (actually more butchers) did that. We were unfortunate to lose a couple of ornamental cherries. The trunks were not more than 10 ft. I don't do much turning so I kept a couple of branch segments for future turning use (I have in mind some chalice cups one day) and the rest of the branches became log burner fuel.

I planked up the trunks, quarter sawn as best I could, with a chainsaw and put them in stick with the ends daubed in roofing tar as that was what was to hand at the time. This was very wasteful as chainsaw cuts are always thick. I have not used any of it yet, and from an inspection this summer, when all of the planks were turned, I would say that I might get 50% of wood suitable for making furniture. Given that it was free apart from a bit of petrol for the saw, I am happy with that.

Sorry - I know this does not help you, but I think I would try to get some turning blanks out of what is left.

Latest posts

Back