What can go on top of creosote to mask the smell?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a maybe but bedec barn paint says it can go over creosote and it's water based. I'm suspicious anything that's oil based will tend to bleed through

I use pine tar and that really stinks but dissipates after a few days. unlike creosote the smell is a bit unpleasant( smoky like a fleece when you've been to a bbq times 5)

I love the smell of pine tar, otherwise known as Stockholm tar, to me it is far nicer than Creosote & its safer too. I use it on boats occasionally.
With creosote you just got to leave it until it stops stinking, some weeks.

I am at a loss as to why you have to address this situation. On what grounds is the request being made. If it is simple as not liking something then you could ask others to change the colour of there fences or vans.
I admit to being biased in I really do like the smell. A new phone line post went in local to me a few weeks back and I would linger as I walked past to get my morning fix. The smell has now gone and I miss it.

Colin
I believe it is illegal unless you get a license or are a farmer or it’s for railway. My neighbour has painted his fence with it and I can’t sit out now as the smell is so strong I get headache . I think you have a problem . And up it will have to come .

I used a load up I found in our garage during COVID....

I'm sure it stopped me getting COVID!!

I'd use white spirit and then hot water and fairy to remove any excess. Brush off onto old newspaper.

I believe it is illegal unless you get a license or are a farmer or it’s for railway. My neighbour has painted his fence with it and I can’t sit out now as the smell is so strong I get headache . I think you have a problem . And up it will have to come .
I'm not sure if it is illegal to use it, as you may have owned it for many years. I believe you do however have to meet certain criteria to buy it now, of which use on listed buildings is also probably a route to buy it.
I'm not sure how to read your comment, "I think you have a problem"

Colin

There are many things that smell a hell lot f a lot worse than creosote-too many people these days need to mind their own , driving to Tamworth recently to visit a nursery for tomatoe plants when the most dreadful smell wafted through the car . I instantly started rounding up the local farmers and demanded they remove the smell as it was offensive 🤣🤣🤣

A drop ( literally ) of EtSH anywhere within a few hundred metres and no-one will notice the creosote.

or..buy a small bottle of menthol or even patchouli and spill it on the deck boards. Grass ( lawn ) cuttings also smell strongly.

ask yourself why it works though! If it has stopped anything growing on the wood for 40 years It is hardly likely to be a delightful chemical to have leaching into the garden.
I wish it would.
Save me having to take a saw to the d*mn leylandii that our neighbours over the back planted too close to said fence :)

Not so. You just have to buy it in 20 litre quantities. We're using it on the hatch-covers of our Dutch barge, on the new planks to replace the old, rotten ones.

Even the manuacturers admit that the new EU-approved and blessed 'Creocote' is no substitute, in terms of protecting wood against rot.

Personally, I like the smell too; but I quie understand that it's quite strong - at least initially - and that others may not.

It's a bit of a "marmite" the smell of creosote*..then again there are those philistines who posit that marmite ( luv it, luv it, luv it ) and creosote are the same thing.

* quite like it..maybe it is an age thing ?

Back