What books would you recommend?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi what books would you lot recommend about wood working. I'm thinking off making a desk, book case and some cupboards.

Welcome to the forum, Rabbie.

I think we might need a little more info to answer this one. Are you looking for something for a beginner? A particular style? Just to start though, I always (boringly) recommend The Complete Woodworker's Manual by Jackson and Day to everyone. Great for basic know-how, covers the works and still gets referred back to even when you think you've reached the never-never land of knowing it all. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I have done a bit off woodwork, built two stands for fish tanks which are still standing. But I am most diffently a beginner looking to make a desk, book case, cupboards and stuff along them lines. I don't have a work shop only a few tools, I sure that will change. Most diffently a beginner

Well I'm a great one for reading (means you have less time to do things and mess up the wood, I find :)) so...

For a great general introduction I'd second Alf's suggestion of the Jackson & Day. For a bit more detail (actually, a lot more detail), I like Taunton's three titles:
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet Construction
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Shaping Wood

All well-written and beautifully illustrated/photographed.

Back