what books do you recommend all woodworkers should read?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a stack of woodworking and related books. I just find each and everyone so interesting.

Until I finish all of these other jobs round the house and get my work space sorted, I'm filling my time sorting out old tools, designing pieces to make and reading as much as I can.

So far I have (and have read cover to cover more than once)

Understanding wood - Taunton Press
Collins complete woodworkers manual
The book of boxes - Andrew Crawford
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery - Taunton Press
The Book of furniture making - Collins
The Woodwork book - John Makepeace
Box Making Doug Stowe
The Workbench - Taunton

I got the Hamlyn book of woodworking for christmas. Its a classic example, a general woodworking book covering much the same stuff as many of the others, but EVERY book I read has a little tip, hint, snippet or alternative way of doing a task that the others dont have, so I never dismiss a book (or judge one by its cover I guess) ;-)

I would really like to learn more about general design. I've always been interested in Art Deco if there are any books relating that to wood work too.

So any books you can recommend I would appreciate.

The more I learn, the more I realise I know nothing!

The Technique of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce is an essential....

marcus":xpdnumtw said:
The Technique of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce is an essential....
I agree that it's an essential ref book...I have a very tatty first edition now but it's a bit of a hefty tome for a bedtime read.
Two that are really excellent are 'Cabinet Making - the Professional Approach' by Alan Peters (recently republished by Stobbart) and 'Cutting Edge Cabinetmaking' by Robert Ingham. Don't forget the Krenov books either...all a thought provoking read - Rob

Hi, Woodbloke

Cabinet Making - the Professional Approach is not out es according to the Stobart web site http://www.stobartdavies.com/ are you sure its out? I wouldn't mind a copy my self. I still have some room on the shelf!
DSC_0245.jpg

Pete

Racers":3vbnc6c8 said:
Hi, Woodbloke

Cabinet Making - the Professional Approach is not out es according to the Stobart web site http://www.stobartdavies.com/ are you sure its out? I wouldn't mind a copy my self. I still have some room on the shelf!
DSC_0245.jpg

Pete
Pete - in that case I may well be mistooken. I understood that it was due out in Dec...Paul Chapman had it down as one of his Christmas pressies but if it's not out yet, he probably didn't get it and got socks instead :lol: :lol:
If you can get hold of copy, it's one of the few really good books on the subject as it deals not only with how to make stuff, but also the business side of running a cabinetmaking operation - Rob

woodbloke":2ef7cdjb said:
Paul Chapman had it down as one of his Christmas pressies but if it's not out yet, he probably didn't get it and got socks instead :lol: :lol:

No, Santa didn't bring the book - and no socks either :cry: Not sure whether it's out yet but will check some time and smuggle it in via the garage :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Racers":249fxgii said:
Mike Garnham
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainence by Robert Persig
Have you read lila?
Pete

No, I haven't.......but I want to read "Zen & The Art of Archery" by Eugen Herrigel first.

Have you read Lila? I have heard it can be fairly inpenetrable.....

Mike

Hi, Mike

I have read them both(zen and lila) I don't know if I understood all of it. :?

Pete

Yeah, I've read both too, the story in Lila was interesting but I think the psychological stuff went over my head. I don't have a good relationship with my father either.

In addition to those mentioned, I really enjoyed Toshio Odates book Japanese Woodworking Tools. Not only about tools but about the traditions surrounding them.

Cheers, Ed.

with wakened hands by james krenov is an excellent book for inspiration - though in my case i just look and go ... i wish i could make that. however some of you guys probably actually could.

In all seriousness the way I've learned what I know about woodworking has come from the kind help and information given from this forum. Be it in person or though web posts. I learn as I go. I make a few mistakes and I learn from them. I do refer to Joyce when I want to check something technical, but unworthy of a whole forum post.

Back